Help with China And Japan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2007, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Shanghai for 5 nites and then Xian for 2 nights. I can add 2 nights in Guillin and then onto Bejing for 5 nights. Should I forget about Guillin and go to Toyko for a few nights? Any thoughts?Thanks
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 07:55 PM

I would not go to Tokyo, as it is just a huge, huge city, and not really the best part of Japan, at least IMO. Do Japan as a separate trip which includes the more traditional cities like Kyoto.

I think Guilin is interesting, if a little overrun with tourists. Personally, I think you have too many nights in Shanghai, I don't know what you will do with that many days there. IMO 2 nights is enough. While I think 2 nights in Guillin is fine, perhaps you can add a night to that and get out of town to see the countryside by bike, or go to a place like Lijiang. Or come to Hong Kong. Time of year would be an issue as well perhaps.
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 09:30 PM

Are you thinking of going to Tokyo for two nights? I would not do that between Xian and Beijing...makes no sense really. Maybe at the end of your trip, and if you had more than 2 nights. I really like Tokyo for it's bright lights/neon and crowds, tall buildings, great subway system...but I wouldn't visit for two days in the middle of a China trip, or even for two days at the end of a China trip. If you mean to give it the last 7 days of your trip, then you could spend 3 in Tokyo and 4 in Kyoto, which would be a nice time I think.
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 02:57 AM
Original Poster

thanks so much for your reply. I meant going to Toyko after Bejing for 4 nites ,enroute home and omitting Guillan.
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 07:56 AM

Scratch Guilin, take a night out of Shanghai and Xian and stay 4 nites in Tokyo after Beijing. Should be the just enough time to whet your appetite for more Japan next time.

Aloha!
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 10:22 AM

How bad do you want to go to Japan? Will you go back to Asia?

You can always go back to Japan on another trip - not just Tokyo, but the rest of the country too. But I think it'll be less likely you'll to Guilin soon, if you've already visited Shanghai, Xian and Beijing.

But of course I may be wrong. You may like China so much that you'll go to Guilin, Yunnan, Silk Road, Tibet and everywhere else again.