15 days to vacation and propose

Old Aug 30th, 2003, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
15 days to vacation and propose

Hi me again the soldier in afganistan who can not make up his mind on where to go and what to do. I want nice resorts to be pampered. I want to go to phuket, samui, and chang mai, the only firm thing I want is the regent in chan mai. Help me find good places
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 11:15 AM
sandi

The Regent in Chiang Mai is very very expensive - about $400/nt. and it is outside of the city. Sure you can be pampered, but that's alot for pampering.

Phuket and Samui are both beach resorts and depending on when you'll be traveling either one of the other has a rainy season.

Suggest Bangkok at the Peninsula (less than $200/nt and the "in" hotel to stay and be pampered.

If in Chiang Mai, then try the Westin closer in to town and less money, but can get the same pampering.

In Phuket, try the Chedi or the Banyon. Prices for either are a better deal.

And think again about the Regent, while outstanding, it's alot to pay when you can be pampered for less.

Sorry can't recommend a place in Koh Samui, maybe another poster has an idea.

Old Aug 30th, 2003, 12:23 PM

For Koh Samui I would recommend the Peace resort, good value. If you want something original try the Boathouse and stay in one of the Rice Barges, for a pure luxury resort try the Dusit Santiburi. The Regent Chiang Mai 'is' very expensive, fine if you want luxury, Hotels such as the Empress are a quarter of the cost or even less but still have everything you need.
Phuket, the Chedi if you want a very nice relaxing place, there are lots to choose from.

Bangkok the Marriott Resort is great and well liked.

if you want local deals and a very comprehensive list of what is available try this site, they have independent review and are Thai based. This link takes you right into the rates and reviews

www.r24.org/huahin.20m.com/bangkok/hotels

start with Bangkok and then click through to the other places.

I don't know when you plan to travel but if it's between now and January you had better book up pretty wuick as by all accounts tourism levels are almost back to normal and many places reporting better than ever, that means places are getting busy fast. In Samui last week our place was almost 100% full, and that's August!
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 02:55 PM

If you are considering the Peninsula in BKK, you will probably have to call them in person to make the reservation. Now that they are rated #1 in the world by Travel/Leisure, it's nearly impossible to secure a room! Good luck! Another poster says that the Conrad in BKK is really nice too. It's the newest hotel in the city.

There's a very nice Boathouse on Phuket with nice rooms and excellent food. They also have a newer property, the Villa Royale, where you are REALLY pampered, but for a big price tag. They have a web site with some good photos. I've been in all 6 of the villas, stayed in two of them, and the photos give you a good idea of the place. Big drawback is that the Villa Royale is NOT on the beach, but on a rocky outcropping instead. (you can use the beach at the main Boathouse property) It's really GORGEOUS and the free-form pool is almost always empty. With only 6 villas on the whole property, you might not ever see anyone else, even when fully booked. The garden-like grounds are sooo romantic! This might be the place to propose!

Good luck to you.
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 08:52 PM

Sandi,
You should be careful about making statements that are very misleading.
Services and amenities at Westin Hotels are certainly above average and represent a very satisfying travel experience for 99% of travelers.
But to say that you get the "same pampering" at the Westin and the Regent Chiang Mai is just not true.
The Regent caters to that 1% that is willing to pay top dollar for the absolute maximum in privacy, luxury and service. Sorry, but is just not in the same category as the Westin.
Again, that's not to say that you can't be pampered at the Westin or that the Westin would not meet the expectations of many travelers.
But don't try to tell people they will have the same experience as the Regent.
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 03:55 AM
sandi

Lindsey -

>>careful about making statements that are very misleading.>>

Maybe instead using the term "same" I should have said "comparable" if

>> 99% of travelers find the Westin Hotel above average and very satifying>>
>>But to say that you get the "same pampering" at the Westin and the Regent Chiang Mai is just not true>>.
>>that's not to say that you can't be pampered at the Westin or that the Westin would not meet the expectations of many travelers>>

My point was more to the price that the 1% of travelers who choose to pay the high cost of the Regent. Friends who have stayed at both (and are included in the 1%) who can more than afford the Regent, and for way less than half the price, were as well pampered at the Westin.

So I wasn't "very" misleading, rather speaking of experience of friends who were pampered at both hotels.

Old Sep 1st, 2003, 02:44 PM

Sandi,
The Westin is in the city. The Regent is a resort, which by its very definition offers a completely different set of amenities and surroundings.
You can play with semantics but it's still apples and oranges.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 08:26 PM

girls..stop the fighting...the regent is superior in every way to the westin, except that it is in the middle of no-where....

the westin is fine, but not a true luxurary hotel....i spent a week there and considered it to be one step above a u.s. chain hotel like the holiday inn or courtyard or residence inn....very nice, but not luxuary in any way....i stayed there for a week so i have personal experience....i have not stayed at the regent but have been there a couple of times for other things...