chang mai/Chang Mai plus Beach Options in Thailand Late November

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2004, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are planning a trip to Thailand in Late November. I have a bunch of questions. We want to spend two nights in Bangkok, does it make a difference if we spend it on the weekend/weekday? Want to spend 2-3 in Northern Thailand. I have read great reviews of the Anatara in Golden Triangle. Are there advantages of Chang Mai vs. Chang Rai. We'd like to do cooking class for a day, go for a good hike, and unwind and eat good food while taking in the culture. I feel they are too far apart to make a day trip. Finally, looking for one or two beach options for 7 days. Looking to relax, unwind and get spa treatments. There are too many choices. Is Koi Samui bad during Nov/Dec (I think I read its rainy season). Anyone heard of Trisara, opens next month near Phuket. Would like to spend $250-$300 night in the beach areas, as the resort will be our destination. I have a Villa reserved at the Sheraton Laguna, but I have not heard great things and Banyon (though I know its great, $500 is more than I want to spend. Thanks for all your help
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 06:04 PM

For what you are looking for, it sounds to me like the Anantara at the Golden Triangle would be perfect for you. They have great cooking classes, and there is plenty to do nearby - or you can laze at the spa there and do nothing. There is a Mandara spa at the Anantara and it's wonderful. Personally, I'd add a couple extra days there and take it off the beach time. That would give you time to explore and time to be pampered there.

You are right that Chaing Rai and Chaing Mai are too far apart for a day trip.

If you are really into spa, consider the Chiva Som at Hua Hin. They are considered to be one of the best destination spas in the world.
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 01:37 AM

1. Weekend versus weekday does not make too much of a difference in Bangkok. You would have somewhat less traffic on the weekends, esp to or from the airport. However, it really does not make that much of a difference in a city of 13 million people with no real defined business district and in which shops are open all days. The Weekend Market is only open on weekends, so if you are interested in that, a weekend is better.

2. Both Koh Samui and Phuket are going to be rainy in November. However if you are going in the last week of November, you might be fine in either. It is hard to say. I have stayed at the villas at the Sheraton in Phuket and liked them a lot. I assume you mean the duplex villas with the roof terraces. They are in their own section of the hotel with its own restaurant, great for breakfast. The roof terrace is also a great extra, nice views and breezes. Neither the Sheraton villas nor any Banyan Tree villa have beach views, both have lagoon views. The Sheraton is a large property, but you don't feel it so much at the villas. They have a spa, but you can also use the Bayan Tree spa for treatments and charge to your room at the Sheraton; and you can charge meals, etc at any of the 5 hotels in the complex to your room. The beach is wide and curving with a gentle surf. There are hawkers on the beach, sometimes a bit annoying (Banyan Tree has the same issue) but you can then escape to one of the pool areas or your roof terrace.

3. I agree with Kathie that Hua Hin may be your best choice, as you are likely to have the least rain there. Chiva Som is excellent, a 5 star hotel which just happens to be a health spa. Literally dozens of treatments and exercise options (included classes), isolation tanks, giant steam rooms, etc.; it really is a true health resort rather than a hotel with a spa added on. Great food, all low-fat, and there even some fasting plans. It is about a 3 hour drive from Bangkok. Hua Hin beaches are not as pretty as Koh Samui or Phuket, but a good choice for November. Take a look at chivasom.net

5. You also might want to consider 3 or more nights in Bangkok and 3 in the Chiang Mai area. There is a lot to do a see in Bangkok, and if it is your arrival point you will have some jet lag which means you may want to take is slow. Also it is quite hot and humid which slows you down further. You could then do 4 days at Hua Hin or another beach location.

4. If you really want a 7 day beach holiday, then you might consider going to Bali, as that is enough time to make the longish flight worth while. Weather is great in December and you can find all the things you are looking for in beaches and spa treatments, etc.

Old Sep 21st, 2004, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply. We actually went to Bali for our Honeymoon three years ago and had the greatest time. Why I'd love to go back (we stayed at Four Seasons Jimbaran and Sayan and the Ritz) we want to try something different.

I am concerned some by the rain, but thought that November-March was the best time of year to travel. For the beaches, there are new resorts opening (The Racha and Trisara) but I don't think either will have their spa completed in December which is a must for my wife. The JW Marriot looks nice, at least more than the Sheraton which I have booked.

Are there other resorts in Hua Hin worth looking into? I think the Chiva Som was in the $500/night range.

Thanks for all your help in trying to plan a great trip!
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 06:16 AM

I've been to Hua Hin a couple of times. The first time, I stayed at the Anantara in the Lagoon rooms and had a spa package. If you are staying at the Anantara at the Golden Triangle, don't stay at the Anantara at Hua Hin. Both are lovely, but they are too similar. The second time I went to Hua Hin, I stayed at the Hyatt in the Regency Club rooms. The Hyatt is a beautiful resort and has a better beach than the Anantara. It's a five minute walk by beach to the Chiva Som. I stayed at the Hyatt and spa'd at the Chiva Som, which was perfect for me. Frankly, I found the Thai pavillions at the Chiva Som to be dark and claustrophobic. The only rooms I liked at the Chiva Som were the suites...$$$$
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 07:22 AM

if you do stay in chiang mai, i stayed at the sheraton chiang mai in a suite for 132/nt and it was fantastic. its a little away from things but you can take tuk-tuk for 60baht
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Paul. The sheraton when I am there is $65/night, which would definitley leave me more room to splurge in the "resort towns".

Everybody is so helpful. This is great!
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 08:55 AM

You should definitely spend more time in BKK and CM/CR and reduce the beach time (IMO). We've found BKK to be very relaxing by not overdoing it and having some pool tiome and a massage every day. In fact, that's exactly why we've concluded that Thailand in general and BKK specifically is the best vacation place in the world. It has a rare ability to be both visually fascinating and relaxing. Our last trip was tremendously unfocused in planning, yet we had a great time.

I suggest that you spend 4 days in BKK, 3 in the north and the remainder at the beach. If you do it in that order and the beach is late in November, you can be fairly sure that Phuket will be nice weather.

In BKK you should stay on the river. Read the numerous posts and choose which of the 5 often recommended hotels fits your budget/needs. Rhkkmk has had good luck with the Shangri-la on Priceline. Be brave.
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Do you agree Grandpa that it does not matter for BKK if you visit weekday vs. weekend.

I have reservations at Peninsula which I will fall back on if I am not successful on Priceline.
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 10:46 AM

Yes, I agree, unless you want to go to the weekend market. It is amazing, but it is hot. If you do go to the weekend market, make sure you get Nancy Chandler's Map of BKK which has a w-end mkt. section that allows you to navigate smoothly.

Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 04:09 AM

Another vote for the Hyatt in Hua Hin. The only other hotel I really liked was the Sofitel which has oodles of history. In case u are not desperately wanting to shop for household stuff ditch the weekend market and just go to the night market in Bkk - it is easier to reach, u can go in the evening which is a much cooler time and u will enjoy the ambience. In case u do not choose to do a cooking class at Anantara the one at the Blue Elephant in Bkk is IMO excellent. has a website.