Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

10% service charge throughout thailand hotels...

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe a silly question... but just wondering about the 10% service charge for thailand (and vietnam) hotels. it's not a tax, is it? it seems to be charged even when booking directly through hotel web sites. is it actually for "service" -- as in they don't expect you to tip those who clean the rooms, etc?? who gets the 10% ??
-kawh
Old May 12th, 2009, 06:04 AM

I believe all the staffs get a share of the tip. Some people do leave a bit extra for the housekeeping staff like 20 Baht on the dresser when they leave the room. You can ask the hotel reception when you check-in who gets a share of the service charge.
Old May 12th, 2009, 06:16 AM

In direct answer to your question, yes, hotels in Thailand, and pretty much all of Southeast Asia, charge a 10% service charge on top of their rack rate. I've heard various stories from various people about how much of that actually goes to employees (Dusit group staff went on strike about this a few years ago). In Thailand, you'll pay the 10% service charge PLUS 7% value added tax on top of the hotel's base rate.
Old May 12th, 2009, 06:28 AM

Everywhere I've stayed in Asia over the last two and a half decades charges the 10% service. It is supposed to be a service charge, that is, it should go to the employees. As noted above, how much gets into the hands of the employess varies. Tipping is not a tradition in these cultures - or wasn't until there was so much tourism. I do tip those who do a little extra for me, and I always leave a tip for the maid, as those people are so underpaid.
Old May 12th, 2009, 06:56 PM

Some, usually the more expensive, hotels have taken to including a service charge. As has been pointed out, tipping is not an asian tradition, though in some places such as Phuket, tips have come to be expected. It is certainly not necessary, nor expected, to tip a maid for cleaning the room. When a restaurant includes a service charge, that should be regarded as the tip.