10 days in Tokyo

Search

10 days in Tokyo

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2005, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10 days in Tokyo

I am going to Tokyo from 3/27 - 4/7 (i arrive on 3/28) - direct from NYC.
I plan on staying at the Four Seasons or other 5-star hotel for the trip.
10 days seems like plenty of time and i would like to know what would be good options for day trips outside Tokyo (Mt. Fuji, etc).
I am trying to put together an itinerary for those 10 days, so any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 02:32 PM

You would like the book "Little Adventures in Tokyo". Enjoy planning your trip!
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 05:20 PM

Suggest using the private, excellent guide for one or more days of your stay. She is Jun Natsuda, email
[email protected]. She will show you parts of Japan that you would not find on your own, example..old historical sections, or whatever interests you.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

I have to frommers book, i will look for the "little adventures" as well.
Is the Four Seasons far from everything? Ginza seems like the place to be and the Four Seasons is totally on the other side of the city.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 10:49 AM

I am also just planning my first trip (March) and have monitored this board for many months. Most people agree on here that sites in Tokyo are very spread out and you end up using the trains and subways alot. I am staying at the Westin Ebisu (western area). As long as you are close to a subway/train station it seems that you are ok. So if i was askign this I thin I'd be asking how far the Four Seasons is to a subway and train stops and waht is the area around the Four Seasons like (beacuse you will likely be out walking around the hotel area some mornings and nights, possibly wanting to eat and maybe shop some around the hotel too).
The Grand Hyatt looks very nice also.
Ginza seems nice for shopping, is close to the fish market and not that far from Asakusa and Ueno areas, but you are still going to be taking the subways/trains around the city.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 11:03 AM

I meant the Grand Hyatt- not the park Hyatt. I looked into staying there (didn't have enough hotel points though) and it looked very nice, and it has that great New York Grill restaurant. It is in Shinjuku on the top 14 floors of a high bldg. But it is a 12 min. walk to Shinjuku station, about the same as the 10 min. walk to Ebisu station from the Westin where I am staying.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 11:05 AM

geez, it's the PARK Hyatt. I'm having one of those days....bassackwards.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

he he, the Park Hyatt seems nice too.
I will have to check and see how far the nearest train is. on their website they claim to be 4 miles from Ginza, which does not seem really that far at all (can even be walked in an hour if the weather is nice)
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 06:04 PM

The nearest station of Four Seasons Tokyo Chinzan-so
is Edogawabashi, 10 or 15 minute walk.
http://www.fourseasons.com/tokyo/
Area around is very quiet, more houses than offices.
If you stay there you might need taxis many times.
Traffic jams in central Tokyo is awful.

If Ginza interests you, why don't you try
another Four Seasons one(Marunouchi), next to Tokyo Station.
http://www.fourseasons.com/marunouchi/index.html
As accomodation I prefer Chinzan-so to Marunouchi, but
the latter's location is superb, within easy walking distance to
central Ginza and Imperial Palace.

Park Hyatt Shinjuku is famous for its sophisticated bars and restaurants.
Fifteen minute walk toJR Shinjuku Station
and ten minute walk to subway Tocho-mae station.
They have shuttle bus service to and from JR Shinjuku,
though I have never taken.
(hours: 9-21, 2 or 3 services per hour)
Area around is tall office buildings and a park.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 02:22 AM

The Four Seasons is in a very quiet residential part of town. It really depends if you want a neon buzz of activity near your hotel, or a quiet refuge. People say the Four Seasons is very nice, but I probably wouldn't recommend the location for a tourist. The hotel is famous for its beautiful garden during cherry blossom season and it should be the peak season when you're in town.

I think the Park Hyatt's location far from Shinjuku station is not really ideal. The new popular place in town is the Hyatt at Roppongi Hills which has a really good location. The Westin in Ebisu also has a nice location.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 03:27 AM
emd

Mealea thanks for the input on Westin Ebisu. airha, you might want to check it out. From my research it seems like Ebisu is kind of a planned development of office buildings and shopping and restaurants; not as organized as Roppongi Hills but still a new complex. I have done alot of research on restaurants and there are alot of them and alot of different kinds within walking distance of the hotel, and shopping too. The hotel is 10 min walk from the station, but there is a moving sidewalk for about half the walk (and I think it is covered too). The hotel looks nice and has good reviews here and on tripadvisor. The rooms are some of the largest in Tokyo, w/two queens or a king and alot of room to spare, sitting area w/couch and chair, etc. and nice bathrooms. Full amenties. And on club level you get breakfast and evening drinks and appetizers in the club lounge, free access to the health club, fax/copier/laser printer in the room, etc. I've already spoke to one concierge and found her helpful and I could understand her English.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 06:27 AM

emd,

as for Ebisu Skywalk
yes, it is all covered.
You may have already checked it having done alot of search
http://www.visualindulgence.com/gall...ls.php?album=8
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 10:20 AM

We just returned from a 5 night Tokyo visit. We stayed in Ginza at the Hotel Seiyo Ginza. It was fabulous and the location is perfect. Cafes, shops, restaurants, metro, Kabuki theater, etc are right outside your door. The hotel is beautiful and the service is amazing. I read about Junko Matsuda on this board and hired her for 3 days. We feel that she made our trip easy and memorable.