1 Full Day in HK - Help Please

Oct 8th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Meow

1 Full Day in HK - Help Please

My husband and I will be in Hong Kong arriving Oct 31 and departing Nov 2. So, we have one full day to see the main sights. Since I have never been there I am having difficulty picking a hotel. Should we stay close to the airport or should we stay in the city? Also, I would like to spend less than $100 on lodging, but it seems impossible to find. I just need a clean and comfortable room. A lot of people recommended the Salisbury YMCA, but rooms are not avail on our dates and if they were they are not cheap($150USD!). For those who have been to Hong Kong please help me. Thank you kindly.

Oct 8th, 2005, 12:16 PM

take a look at the kowloon hotel, almost next to the Y...with such short time you need to be in the city near to things...i don't think there are hotels by the airport anyways...a couple of the regular HK people will chime in with cheaper hotels in HK...there are a couple of really good ones...i once stayed in the ramada but it was only so so but cheap...i would stay at kowloon...
Oct 8th, 2005, 03:25 PM

Wow, I just checked prices for those two days, and for some reason prices are very high. Probably some kind of exhibition/convention going on. Prices really jump to ridiculous level for Nov 1.

One of the cheaper hotels I can find that's convenient is the Wesley in the Wanchai district, from asia-hotels.com. It's a no-frills 3* hotel with small rooms, but at US$102, tax included, it's the best I can find for around US$100.

It's in the Wanchai district, within walking distance to the Pacific Place Mall (where the Conrad, Island Shangri-La and JW Marriott is), a few minutes walk from the Wan Chai MTR, and is a short tram ride to Central or Causeway Bay.

But before you book, you may want to try Priceline. Regularly, I tell people to bid $100 5* Tsim Sha Tsui to try to get the Sheraton. But if that fails, you may want to bid for 4* in the other zones. Normally, the Kowloon Hotel will come up for about $60, but since the prices are so high, you may have to bid closer to $100 than to $60 for the 4*.
Oct 8th, 2005, 03:27 PM

Oh, and forget about the airport. There's only one hotel there - the Regal Airport - and for your dates, they'll be about $280-300/night.
Oct 8th, 2005, 06:11 PM
Meow

Thank you all for your suggestions. I never thought of trying Priceline.

Oct 8th, 2005, 06:58 PM

make sure you get help at biddingfortravel first and check out the awards for HK...great help...do the 13 steps and you might luck out
Oct 8th, 2005, 08:11 PM

In case you decide to use Priceline, let me give you a brief rundown on the areas and the hotels, based on data from biddingfortravel.com.

Tsim Sha Tsui, 5*. Usually the Sheraton, about $100. Excellent deal, excellent hotel.

Tsim Sha Tsui 4*. Usually the Kowloon. Good location, but very small room. Still, good deal for $60.

Central Kowloon, 5*. No recent winning bids, the one listed on BFT is the Harbour Plaza. A nice hotel, but extremely poor location.

Central Kowloon, 4*. Eaton, about $60. Good location, good hotel.

West Hong Kong Island, 5*. JW Marriott, $120. Excellent location, great deal.

West Hong Kong Island, 4*. The one that comes up all the time is the Cosmopolitan. It's a very new hotel, so facility should be fine. But its location is pretty poor. Long and difficult walk to the MTR or anything. I think it's okay if you can get it for about $60, but I wouldn't pay $90 to stay there, like somebody is doing.

East Hong Kong Island, 4*. The Harbour Plaza North Point is an okay hotel, not far from the MTR. The Quarry Bay MTR stop is just 3 stops from Causeway Bay and 6 from Central. But it's next door to a big funeral home, and locals don't go there unless necessarily. Few stores or restaurants nearby, and it's quiet at night. [Really unusual along the northern shore of HK Island.]