Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Which airline would you choose to Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
I was hoping for some advice. I would like to purchase airline tickets to Italy in May. Leaving STL, flying into FCO and out of VCE. I've looked on kayak for options - the prices are around $1100. Has anyone seen any cheaper than that, or is that as good as it gets?

My options for airlines are mostly connecting through Chicago, which is fine. I see a flight by Delta, but operated by Alitalia going there. Then Air France on the way back. Or go Iberia, but then I'd have 2 connections. If you had to choose, what would you pick? I've flown both Air France & Iberia and thought they were fine. But I know I've read bad experiences about Alitalia on this website. Any thoughts? And we'll be going coach by the way. Unfortunately.

Thanks for your help!
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 12:27 PM

Avoid Alitalia at all costs. I've travelled to Europe numerous times, and this was the only trip where I had any luggage lost. It was sent to Alitalia luggage Hell.
I had to wait for 2 days for my luggage to be rescued by my travel agent in Naples, and my boyfriend's was NEVER forwarded to the hotel. We phoned and used the Alitalia tracking number online for the whole trip. WE found the suitcase sitting in the luggage store room on our return flight to NY; it totally ruined a well planned trip to be shopping for clothing and other neccesities for 10 days.
You have been warned.
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 02:07 PM

You are right to avoid Alitalia. They basically stink.

I would look again at Delta. You should be able to find a routing to and from both cities on Delta planes with a single stop, as they fly to both airports from JFK.

Otherwise, my personal favorite in coach for long-haul trips is Northwest on an Airbus 330. But, this will entail a double-connection in both directions.
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 05:43 AM

You might also check LH out of ORD. You'd connect in either FRA or MUC. We've taken them twice into FCO then out of FIR and had no complaints (other than the usual ones when you're in coach). Service, food (and generous with drinks before, during and after dinner) were actually quite good, very efficient with bags.
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 06:17 AM
LilRicky

I vote for LH via Munich.

Old Mar 5th, 2008, 09:17 AM

You could fly Delta out of STl to either Atlanta or JFK and then nonstop to either FCO or VCE out of those two cities. FCO nonstop doesn't start from CVG till June 1st. Very easy!
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 07:20 AM

We flew Delta to Italy and the seats were small (I am 5' 3 and 115) I cant imagine someone taller enjoying themselves for a long flight. I would check out seatguru for the best seat choice.