Wally's off to New Zealand--with a question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2008, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to save money, I have purchased a total of five different airline tickets for my round-trip flight from West Palm Beach to Nelson, NZ.

Today I fly from PBI to LAX. The one-way fight with Continental was $124.00. Overnight in LA.

Tomorrow, I fly from LAX to Auckland on Air Pacific. I paid $1394 back in January. I have a five-hour stopover in Fiji. (Nadi)

Two hours after arriving in Auckland, I'll fly to Nelson. This is with Air New Zealand and I paid $118.20.

Question. If the Air Pacific flight is late to Auckland, will Air New Zealand show me any mercy?

Returning, I'll fly Air New Zealand from Nelson to Auckland. I paid $118.20. However, I only have 1:15 minutes to get to my Air Pacific flight in Auckland.

Question: Will Air Pacific show me any mercy if the Air New Zealand flight is late?

After an overnight in LA on Jan. 4, I'll be flying from LAX to West Palm Beach on AirTran. I paid $180 for the one-way flight.

$1934.40 total.

I flew Air Pacific last year. They weren't too bad. No First Class, small Business section, the 747-400 holds 458 people. They did serve complementary wine with dinner and sparkling wine with the hot breakfast in economy. Individual television monitors, too. I did get miles with American Airlines for the flight.

Happy Holiday's everyone!

Old Dec 17th, 2008, 07:19 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Are the FJ and NZ flights on the same PNR? If not, you're not protected and will run the risk of cancellation due to no-show.

Given that Air Pathetic's on-time performance is dicey, I think your connection through immigration and customs at AKL inbound is pretty marginal, verging on unreasonable. If multiple flights arrive close to your arrival, AKL passport and immigration can get slammed.

I'd be less concerned about the return, since you'll be exiting the country and NZ ought to be able to tag your bags all the way.
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

I always do appreciate your comments, Gardyloo. I feel better about the return now. I double checked and I have 2 1/4 hours in Auckland to switch. If the plane is late leaving LAX, I hope it gets caught up in Nadi. It is a separete ticket. Guess I could check on the bus schedules.
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 01:04 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Have fun in NZ wally - the top of the SI is a favorite of mine - I'm jealous.
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

I made it to LA. Wasn't real happy with Continental. They used a small jet from PBI to Houston. I had a window and isle seat. When I got to the gate, I asked them if there would be room for my suitcase--I decided to fly carry on. I was told by the man at the gate that the suitcase was too big and I would have to pay to check it. A few minutes later he was passing out everyone in need a "Baggage to be claimed at the arrival gate tag."

Houston to LAX. They used a 757-300 and it took forever to load the plane since everyone tried to do carry on. During the 3 hour 10 minute flight, they NEVER turned off the fasten seat belt sign even though there wasn't much turbulence.

I actually got scolded for having my earphones connected to the entertainment system. They played a movie on the flight and after the movie they announced that they were preparing for landing. The television kept playing so I continue listening with my earphones and was told I should take them off. I pointed to the television screen, and was told that would be turned off soon.

Obviously, Continental is not up to Jet Blue standards. I was allowed to watch DirecTV on Jet Blue during take-off and landing.

As for LA, "Can someone turn up the heat?"
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 08:46 PM

Wal,
I agree you're going to be cutting it fine on the way in though fortunately there's not a great distance from International to Domestic at AKL.

I do not however think you better rely on AirNZ tagging your bags all the way through on return as your first leg is domestic with a different airline but you can ask!
You're still cutting it fine for check in/immigratin etc.

Good luck!
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

I made it to Nelson today, about 16 hours behind schedule. My flight from Fiji to Auckland was delayed five hours. But still, Air Pacific took good care of all of us--all 445 people!

When we arrived in Fiji we were told that there were mechanical problems with the 747-400 and so they wanted to take us to a hotel for the day and give us a breakfast voucher. Not bad.

Then when everyone got on the plane, there were some refueling problems that set us back another hour. So I got to Auckland at 7:00 p.m. instead of 2:00 p.m. I missed the flight to Auckland.

Air Pacific put me up in a hotel for the night (In Auckland) with dinner and breakfast vouchers and I made the flight this morning. It was raining yesterday so I guess I didn't miss much.

I still enjoy Air Pacific, the smiling faces of the flight attendants, the free wine with the meals. I didn't see the sparking wine on the cart for breakfast and asked and she brought me a glass.

And the way they turn off the fasten seatbelt sign as soon as the plane gets up to 5,000 feet (about 4 minutes) is a nice change from most U.S. airlines.

But I don't think I will be this lucky on the flight home and plane to make some changes which will probably cost me around $120.

On the flight from Auckland to Nelson, I don't remember going through security. Is that possible? I remember being told to turn off my cell phone.
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 07:41 PM

Wally -

Passengers and luggage on short flights within NZ aren't subject to security screening.

However, I would've thought this changed following the stabbing of two pilots on an Air NZ flight back in Feb.

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2008/0...nd-flight.html
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 08:02 PM

I'm always fascinated by anybody that writes in third person.....

There is something not right about that.

Have a wonderful trip Wally! Enjoy your wine!
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 08:43 PM

Hi
Going all that way and skipping the Cooks, Figi,and tahiti.
Old Dec 24th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Christmas Greetings from Sunny Franz Joseph, New Zealand. I spent the entire day (Dec. 24) hiking a glacier. I had the boots, the crampons and the cuts to prove it. That ice is sharp! At one point my entire leg went through the ice. Not a cloud in the sky, either. My guide made the comment that they wonuldn't let you do this in the States unless you signed 30 waivers. I added that the fasten seatbelt sign would be on, too.

I did make a change to my flight. I will be flying out of Christchurch instead of Nelson and I will do one overnight in Auckland.
Old Dec 24th, 2008, 08:14 PM

You're making me envious Wally. Be sure to try out the Blue Ice restaurant while you're in the area.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

I'm back!

The best weather was actually on the South Coast from Dunedin to Invercigal. 90 degrees but that water is cold. Saw sea lions, seals, and a penguin on the beach. I didn't make it over to Stewart Island but maybe next time.

Yesterday I flew from Auckland to Fiji. They need to get some air-conditioning at that Nadi airport, but the flight was great. 737-800 with a full dinner with wine and wine refills, and then two beers to wash it down. All included in economy! Fasten seatbelt sign was on for only the first five minutes and last 10 minutes.

I recommend putting your bathing suit in your carry-on bag when going through Fiji's airport. However, the flight was on time and made it to LA just 30 minutes late. No hotel delay this time.

Air Pacific has more people on their 747-400 then does Singapore Airlines on their new Airbus A380, which means luggage comes out slowly at Baggage Claim.

In LA, they exited the aircraft through the second door, so they asked the people at the beginning of the economy class to sit as the Business Class customers walked by them. This didn't work too well. I would recommend that the flight attendants stand and how the people behind the exit door in the back of the economy class and hold those people and then allow the front economy class and then the business class to exit. Since everyone had their carryon's in their hands, it didn't work well.