United Messing with Us BUF - STT

Nov 21st, 2018, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

United Messing with Us BUF - STT

United is messing with us and wonder if any of you have suggestions. We have six RT tickets BUF to STT in March 2019 purchased late September. About a month ago we got an email advising a schedule change on the return no longer STT-EWR-BUF, but STT-SJU (Cape Air) Ė EWR-BUF. I donít like two transfers and the 10 hours of travel, but no other choice. Now United has cancelled the late EWR-BUF flight so now they have scheduled an overnight at EWR and fly us out the next morning. They will not cover the hotel for the overnight and obviously very inconvenient. Told them I want a refund, they say that leg is only worth $420.00 of the $1,070.00 ticket cost. Looking to rebook the return on Delta/Jet Blue/AA that leg is well over $700.00 so almost $2,000.00 extra for the six of us. Any ideas?
Nov 21st, 2018, 10:14 AM

I'm not following your math, but call them back and say that arriving the next day is impossible due to other commitments, and tell them that therefore it's a "trip in vain," meaning the whole purpose of the trip is negated. The "trip in vain" language is key, it's a code phrase that makes the airlines get more flexible in a hurry.

This might not help you in getting cheaper flights, however, if you have to rebook at higher prices.
Nov 21st, 2018, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Gardyloo, not sure what that will do as it appears there is no other way back STT - BUF without an overnight on United. My math is if we re-book on Delta it is $330.00 more per ticket (Jet Blue even more) for the one way back times six people $1,980.00.
Nov 21st, 2018, 09:24 PM

What are the dates/days of your travel? A quick Google flight search showed on Fri 15 MAR UA 1482 STT-EWR 3:25-6:52 pm connecting (3h 7 min layover) to UA 4943 EWR-BUF 9:59-11:29pm @ USD 605 per pax R/T with outbound on 6 MAR.

BTW you will likely not get a refund on just one way, need to declare the whole trip "in vain" to get it all back. Also. if you have not already accepted the change, do not do so as this reduces your ability to argue for a refund.
Nov 22nd, 2018, 02:45 AM

The definition of trip in vain means the whole trip would be in vain, ie no point in going at all if you canít get back in time. Iíve had many schedule changes this year unfortunately but had no issue in either rebooking a more suitable connection if I can find a better one than offered or getting a full refund, but that wasnít on a US carrier.
Nov 26th, 2018, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Our flights were March 9 return March 16th. Seamus, you are correct in the end they would not actually refund just the one leg so they cancelled and refunded us the entire itinerary. They tried to push us to take a flight from STT-ORD-BUF on the 16th that had a 39 minute layover at ORD. I know we would have to change terminals for the commuter jet to BUF so insisted it was impossible and they finally let it go. We ended up booking with Delta for only $40.00 more per ticket so ended up OK in the end and prefer Delta anyway.

Search this Thread