Turbulence experience

Dec 31st, 2003, 11:52 PM
Original Poster

Turbulence experience

Hi fellow travelers,
I am interested in finding out during what routes you have had the worst turbulence.

I myself had the worst experience going from Sydney to LA. For 10 hours the plane would not stop shaking and I thought I would never make it to La La land.
Jan 1st, 2004, 05:10 AM
sandi

Turbulence Happens. Our trip to Australia was as smooth a silk both ways. The only flight I've ever had turbulence of any significance was once returning from Puerto Rico to NYC. Otherwise, occasionally a few minutes during any given flight happens and then it's over.

If possible the cockpit tries to avoid turbulence - going around, over and any which way, and while the Pacific is real big turbulence must have been going on all across - the pilots probably had no alternative.

Alfred, you might have been shook up and quite uncomfortable during the trip and ticked upon landing, but you did "land" - that should be your main concern - "you take off, you land!"

Jan 1st, 2004, 10:33 AM
pat

I`ve flown all over the world and the worst turbulance I have encountered is landing in Reno, Nevada, where I live. We are next to the Sierra Nevada mountains, and landing can be exciting!
Jan 1st, 2004, 04:10 PM

West coast - Hawaii can be pretty bad during the winter. Caught a tail wind once in Palm Springs (always super windy), am still wondering how the pilot regained control of the plane. And Colorado.
Jan 1st, 2004, 07:23 PM

Very unpredictable from what I've seen. In all our flights back and forth between the US (through LAX) and Australia, we've never had that much turbulance. Just got back a couple of days ago and it was fine, BUT the plane we were supposed to be on coming back was so heavily hail damaged enroute to us that it had to be grounded. You just never know. Once we got a plane, we flew right back the same general route and it was smooth sailing.

The worst flights I've had were over mountain ranges, especially low altitude flights or takeoffs and landings in a mountainous area.
Jan 3rd, 2004, 11:17 AM

Denver Int'l is horrible for turbulence, especially going to Portland (where i live), as you go right over the Rockies and get some nasty air currents.
Jan 5th, 2004, 09:47 AM

In a large jet, the worst (independent of actual bad weather) is always on short routes where the plane never reaches a good cruising altitude. For example, the LAX-LAS flight can be bumpy, as can LAX-SFO. Thankfully, these flights are only an hour long. Never noticed specific problems in and out of DEN, but I might have just lucked out the days I flew there.

On puddle jumpers, I'm always getting bumped around. The worst was HOU-LCH several years ago on a Saab turboprop. Rainstorm, flying sideways, the day AFTER a private plane had crashed 100 yards from my parents' house-- not fun. But we landed safely.

Just stay buckled in, and you'll feel bumps but you'll be fine. The pilots will avoid the worst turbulence, and the planes are built to take a good amount of wind buffetting, so in-flight bumps are nothing to be concerned about. Takeoff and landing are the parts of the flight where the pilots have to work hardest-- cruise is easy and safe.
Jan 5th, 2004, 03:07 PM

Yes, I agree about LAS-LAX! It's even worse when they tell you the flight attendants will be styaing seated for the flight. Just what my nerves need to get truly terrified
Jan 6th, 2004, 05:45 AM

I had heard horror stories about the COS-DEN route, even though it's all of 10 minutes. I survived that, twice, with nary a bump.

I find that no matter when or with what carrier I fly, there's always some turblence up around Halifax both coming and going to Europe from BOS. Only once has it been uncomfortable and the pilot couldn't get out of it so we just rode it out.

I had a pretty bumpy ride once from DUB-EDI, but that was also short enough not to be too concerned.

What did bug me was 3 weeks ago, flying home from DEN-BOS, and we tried to land during a storm...two aborted landings (equipment on the runway). This was after circling in the storm (and turbulence) for nearly an hour waiting for the airport to reopen. Then diverted to Bangor to wait for an opening. That ended up being an overnight wait in a Holiday Inn, then we woke to a foot of snow (there was none when we got there and the airport was then closed all day). When we finally got out of Bangor at 10 p.m. that night, there were 50 mile an hour winds and windsheer (which caused another aborted landing just as we were about to touch down). This half hour flight from Bangor to BOS was the worst ever. You could feel the plane lift, catch a pocket, then drop off of it. If I can survive that, I can survive anything!
Jan 6th, 2004, 08:56 AM

OMG Amyb that's terrible! Now that one may have put me over. Remember the plane crash in Little Rock AS a few years ago trying to do the same thing! You get the prize for courage!
Jan 7th, 2004, 06:26 AM

I have been on several flights with nasty turbulence. The last one was ORD-FLL, got caught in bad weather. The plane was up and down like a roller coaster for over and hour and a half. I got my rosary out on that one.

Speaking of turbulence, National Geographic aired a show last night on cable about a British Airways flight that flew threw a volcano eruption somewhere near Jakarta and lost all 4 engines at 37,000 ft. Boeing 747. Apparently, the volcanic ash went up to 40,000 feet and at the time the flight crew had no warning. When they got below 13,000 feet the engines started again and they were able to make an emergency landing in Jakarta. Fascinating story.
Jan 7th, 2004, 07:14 AM

buckeyemom, I can always count on you to complete the picture for me!! I started watching that docu last night then had to run off for a dinner date (sushi, plum wine and bad basketball-- darn Lakers!!...). So it was THAT BA flight they were discussing!

That would have been a bad travel day.

Funny thing is, I haven't had a noticeably turbulent flight in well over two years-- and I fly a lot. I also avoid the hub airports up north (ORD, MSP, DTW), so that may have something to do with it....
Jan 7th, 2004, 10:32 AM

The show is called "Fire in the Sky," and it will be air again on Saturday at 5pm if you want to tape it.

Jan 7th, 2004, 03:49 PM

The worst turbulence I've experienced was on a flight from Denver to San Jose in December. It was rough.