Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Has anyone ever flew the Hawaii Continental direct from NJ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2004, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all. We are thinking of flying to Hawaii either July or August of this summer. Continental offers a direct from New Jersey, 10 & 1/2 hours nonstop going & 9 1/3 return. I tend to get nervous flying so it seems like a loong flight to me. If anyone has ever flown it, does it drag?
Also, is there a lot of turbulence this route?
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 04:35 AM
sandi

My preference to any destination is non-stop, whether 5-hrs or 16-hrs. You take off and land only once and that the best part.
As to turbulence I've never experiences any on flight to/from Hawaii, but turbulence can happen on any flight, so no guarantee on this route.

Pilots advise if they expect turbulence and ask that you stay seated till they pass thru such turbulence. At other times, pilots can manage to fly above or around expected turbulence.

Old Jan 5th, 2004, 04:50 AM

If you go first class you will be fine. I cannot imagine traveling any other way on such long flight. Besides, it is much longer than that. Just think what time you have to get to the airport, what time you will be bording, what time you will get to your seat, how long your plane is going to be delayed, how long after landing you will get off the palne. It is not just estimeted time of your flight. This is how I feel about long flights so this my personal opinion.
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 06:14 AM
Jed

I have been on many 9-11 hr flights, and they drag. So you have to either be lucky and go on a night flight when you can sleep most of the way, or bring a lot of things to occupy your time. Books, crossword puzzles. newspapers, knitting, computer games, etc. Or be preprared to watch a few movies. But long flights are better than more and shorter flights. You can always expect some turbulence, but be assured that your plane has flown through all of them without a problem.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 12:31 PM

We just flew Portland, Maine to Cincinnati and then on Delta's new route direct to Honolulu-it was about 10 hours I think. I would do it again-it trimmed a few hours off the total trip and really didn't seem that bad-esp on the way over as you'll be so excited!! We watched the movies, read, slept and had 2 meals (one hot and one cold-nothing great but it broke up the monotony a bit...) Just be sure to get up and move around a lot to prevent DVT's and swollen feet. Also, we had bulkhead seats so we could stretch out a bit more. We didn't encounter any bad turbulence.