Search

TSA approved locks

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2004, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSA approved locks

Now, it seems, we can lock our suitcases. Yes, I'm going to risk the luggage being lost/delayed instead of carry it on.

How can I pick the right lock on a store? The salespeople will say anything to get my money.

All I was able to find on the web is that the lock should have the TSA logo. What's that?
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

NM, got an answer on US forum, here is the URL and a picture of the logo

http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/ca...l?sku=KT101SLV
Old May 1st, 2004, 05:23 AM
sandi

Yes, there is a lock with the TSA logo on same and these are supposedly approved. When they became available a few months back, many travelers chose to wait to see whether these would indeed not be broker and/or actually secure luggage and be opend properly by inspectors. However, there are still posts/and articles indicating that even these locks are being broken by the inspectors. So it's your choice whether to puchase these and hope for the best.

Old May 2nd, 2004, 03:50 PM

I've flown 4 times with the TSA-approved locks and have not had one of them cut off. (Brookstone will even give you a free replacement lock if one of the TSA-approved locks is cut off by mistake!) On one trip, one of my suitcases needed to be opened, and the TSA agent was very quick to grab the large ring of specially-made keys for these locks and opened it without a problem.

Personally, I feel MUCH more comfortable now that I am able to lock my luggage once again.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 08:52 AM

The problem is that there are already universal keys being sold on E-Bay. TSA is the only people that are suppose to have these universal keys.

I don't check luggage very often, but when I do, cable ties work great. I bought a package of 100 or so for couple of bucks. I'm set for lifetime of checked luggage travelling. TSA will replace a cable tie if it needs to open your suitcase.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 10:35 AM

I don't check luggage very often either, but I think I will get the TSA approved locks rather than using cable ties. Anybody can cut a cable tie, but hopefully only a few determined crooks will get the universal keys.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 11:57 AM

Neither a lock or zip-ties will protect you from thieves if they really want your stuff. Both are just a mild deterrent for the petty thieves.

I've thought of using zip-ties, but the problem is that since I can't carry a pocket knife with me, I can't cut the stupid tie open when I want to!

Anyways, search your favorite shopping site for "TSA locks" or "Travel Sentry TSA locks". You should find a pair of combination locks for about $15, or a pair of keyed locks for about <$10.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 01:40 PM

rkkwan,

I have a little nail clipper in the side pocket of the checked suitcase.

Also I've seen the combo locks on E-Bay for $8.95 for anybody that wants one.
Old May 4th, 2004, 09:33 AM

Used the TSA approved locks on our flight to/from Milan this March. Only problem was that the TSA personell did not re-lock the things when they completed their inspection. Lost one someplace between Boston & Milan because of it.
Old May 5th, 2004, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Somebody else posted a similar question on European board. They say TSA is a domestic organization, inspectors abroad don't have the keys to USA locks.
Old May 5th, 2004, 12:31 PM

But people have always been able to lock their luggage in Europe or elsewhere in the world, before 9/11 and after 9/11. Don't think that's changed. It's only the US that has the new rule.
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 07:59 PM

anyone know if we can lock samsonite hardsides? on the tsa website samsonite is listed as an approved brand, but i'm not sure if this applies to stand-alone samsonite locks, or if it applies to its hardside locks...can anyone help?

how about international flights on a us carrier? locks ok?
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 10:17 AM

I too also use just the cable ties or zip ties. Yes anyone can cut them off, but at least when you retrieve your luggage you can tell instantly whether or not your luggage has been opened. And as AA said, TSA will replace yours with their own if they open your bag. I got 150 cheap colored ones at the dollar store, and also a $1 side cutter/wire cutter that I throw into the front pocket of the checked luggage to cut them off. You can carry blunt tip kiddie scissors in your carryon and every hotel desk has a pair of scissors in an emergency.