Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Transfer to an LAX Flight from Domestic (2 tickets)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the unfortunate situation that I must transfer from a JetBlue domestic flight to a V Australia international flight at LAX. I arrive at 8pm, and my V Australia flight leaves at 10:20pm. I can't check in for the V Australia flight online in advance, so I have to do that (and check my bag) at LAX. Everything is in Terminal 3 (both the domestic and international flight). There's no chance of changing anything at this point, so please don't bothering asking me to do that. I'm stuck with what I've been given and need to make the best of things. This will be on a Wednesday evening in a couple of weeks.

For all your LAX experts (I haven't been there for quite a few years), are there any issues I should be aware of that I'm not considering? I had originally hoped I'd be able to check my bag all the way through to Sydney, but JetBlue doesn't have an interline agreement with V Australia. I think now I really have to carry everything with me onto the JetBlue flight and deal with the repercussions of only having 3-oz bottles of liquids, including sunscreen. Or do you think I can take a chance and check my bag to LAX?
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 09:48 AM

You have until 9:20p to check-in and check your bags with V Australia, so you do have some time. LAX is not delay prone, so it really depends on the departure. BOS and FLL are better than JFK, for apparent reasons.
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Would you take the chance of checking a bag? I'm flying premium economy, so I will have some kind of expedited check-in for the flight, but I've never been on V Australia, and I don't know how long I might have to wait for my bags from the JetBlue flight. I'm sort of resigned to the idea of having a middle seat, just hoping that a middle seat in premium economy isn't as dreadful as one in regular economy.
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 10:36 AM

LAX bag retrieval is some of the worst anywhere (donestically) What I might do, if you want to carry sunscreen etc, is check a small bag w those items and if it becomes a problem w/ a delayed JetBlue flight coming in, just leave it there.

Second option, can you check in live to V Australia flight from where you check in for the Jet Blue Flight? Then you'd at least have the boarding pass and might feel better checking a bag.
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 11:38 AM

Does JetBlue not have an interline baggage agreement with V Australia? If they do, checking in is not required when checking your bag through.
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 01:05 PM

Hi Doug

Congrats on your trip

LAX for me is nice pretty user friendly

Still to risky for me to check a bag always carry on

onebag.com avoid bag fees and lost/missed bags

premium economy on AF and BA is about a coach seat and a half

I was quite comfortable US to Europe on both.

seatguru.com seatexpert.com has best seat detail.

Have fun,
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 01:06 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
<i>I'm sort of resigned to the idea of having a middle seat, just hoping that a middle seat in premium economy isn't as dreadful as one in regular economy.</i>

Are you unable to reserve your seat on V Australia ahead of time? From their website, it certainly looks like you could. http://www.vaustralia.com.au/in-flig...SeatSelection/

If you can book a seat, then I'd probably go ahead and check a bag on jetBlue, given that your seat will be available even if you check in at 9 PM at LAX. Note security at T3 can be irritating in the extreme on occasion.

That said, you know they <i>do</i> sell sunscreen and other cosmetics in Australia, don't you?
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

I have made a seat request selection, but my understanding is it's not a specific seat. But hopefully it will work out. I do have almost 90 minutes, so you'd think I could check a bag and still check into the flight.

(And I'd happily buy stuff in Australia, but as an American it's already so expensive, I'm afraid to find out what sunscreen would cost, particularly since the U.S. dollar is not really worth anything in Australia right now.)

But JetBlue does not have an interline agreement with V Australia, so I really can't check in until I get to LAX. Thanks to everyone for the support, though. I'll definitely let you know how things go.

Does anyone know if V Australia arrives at LAX in the Bradley terminal? Or does it use Terminal 4, which is closer to Terminal 3?
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 05:51 PM

TBIT:

http://www.vaustralia.com/before-you...international/
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 08:46 PM

If I understand this, you will be traveling with a carry-on bag but are thinking about checking it in order to save a few bucks on sunscreen? Anything else? I understand that people can be particular about the brand of sunscreen they use, are you?

If you aren't making a connection on jetBlue enroute to LAX then your flight will probably be on time and your bag will show up as expected.

So, a US$10 bottle of sunscreen might cost more in US$ Oz than it did in the past. How much more? $5, $10? How much for the other liquids?

If your jetBlue flight is delayed, how much would it be worth to you to not have to start worrying (in NYC or wherever) about having to get your checked bag before going to the TBIT? How much is it worth to you to NOT take the (small) chance of ending up saying "I missed my V Australia flight because I checked that bag"?

You could look at the difference in cost of those liquids as insurance that your bag travels with you.
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 09:04 PM

But, of course the extra $$ are better off in your pocket than in some Aussie pharmacist's and the flight will probably be on time and the bags delivered quickly enough, and you have enough time even if the flight is somewhat late and the bags are slow. So, pay the money or take the risk (which includes the potential for worry).
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 09:09 PM

V Australia arrives at the TBIT and departs from T3. T3 is adjacent to TBIT, about a 2 min. walk. T4 is on the other side of TBIT, and is used by American and Qantas.

http://www.lawa.org/uploadedFiles/LA...02011-0510.pdf
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 06:00 AM

Doug, note that an interline baggage agreement has nothing to do with checking in. It has to do with whether JetBlue will tag your bag to the final destination and take it to JetBlue for loading on to your next flight. It has been done for years before there were airline "alliances" and code shares and such.

Interlining is generally not mentioned on websites but your travel agent can look it up on the GDS Or you should be able to get the information ith a phone call.
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 08:45 AM

@noflyzone:

I believe doug knows whereof he speaks. jetblue is FAMOUS for not interlining luggage..same as southwest...
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 10:20 AM

That may indeed be the case for Jet Blue.
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 10:41 AM

<i>jetblue is FAMOUS for not interlining luggage..same as southwest...</i>

Ditto V Australia. Very few interline agreements, one of which is Virgin America, which goes head-to-head with jetBlue in several markets.
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 03:16 PM

Check luggage? No way.
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 04:17 PM

No advice to offer here since I've never made this connection, but do have a great time in Australia, Doug.
Old Aug 12th, 2011, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info.

Unfortunately, V Australia has no interline agreement with JetBlue. I'm sure about that.

I'm a little too anxious about checking, so I'll probably just carry my bag onto the JetBlue flight and pare things down more than I had originally wanted to. I'm on a very fast-paced trip this time, so I didn't really want to do laundry.