Carry-on Measurements...

Search

Carry-on Measurements...

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2007, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carry-on Measurements...

Quick question: When an airline specifies the max measurements of carry-on, do those measurements INCLUDE wheels and handles?

Just purchased a 21" rollie, but if I include the wheels and handle, it turns into a 22-incher... I plan on doing carry-on only and am flying AA to CDG and Air France to Venice in a couple weeks. Should I find a smaller rollie?

Thanks in advance!
Old May 2nd, 2007, 02:30 AM

Try a search on the Europe forum. There were some threads about this in the past few weeks.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 03:43 AM

In most cases it will be the maximum dimensions including any sticky out bits like wheels. Whether a particular airline on a particular day say your bag is too big depends on the mood of the staff doing the check-in.

The one exception to this is any flight from a UK airport where if the bag doesn't fit in the frame then it has to be checked.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 04:41 AM

Agree with Alan. I've got a similar bag and CO and LH always seem to be more concerned with weight than whether the wheels add another inch to the overall measurement. OTOH, I've had friends who've had to check similar bags.
Old May 16th, 2007, 06:58 AM

Yes, the wheels and handles are included in the measurement.

I have a 22", wheels included, and it was the wheels that kept it from fitting into the frame for an AF flight from CDG. I asked if I could take it on the flight since the size was so close and they weighed it -- it was quite light and they let me take it onboard. However, there was plenty of space and extra seats on that flight.

So the answer is "It depends" and you'd have to to be prepared to check it. I think I'd return it and go down an inch. Summer flights are likely to be fuller than when I flew in November.

Good luck.
Old May 16th, 2007, 08:29 AM

On my last flights with DL & AA it seems that size didn't matter. People were putting on HUGE bags. This really slows down the boarding and disembarking of the plane. I wish you could only bring a small personal bag for medicines and toiletries only.
Old May 16th, 2007, 08:47 AM

Yes...wheels, handles and everything else that might protrude out.
Old May 16th, 2007, 11:16 AM

Yes, measure wheels and handles
Old May 16th, 2007, 12:15 PM
ET

When I last flew to England, I carried a 22 inch aboard my United flight. However, when I changed over to BA, they would not allow the bag on board. The frame they used to measure was quite small and I don't think a 21 inch would have fit either.
Old May 16th, 2007, 10:27 PM

For flights FROM UK airports the MAXIMUM size is

56 centimetres tall (approximately 22 inches)
45 centimetres wide (approximately 17.7 inches)
25 centimetres deep (approximately 10 inches)

Exceed any of those dimensions by a cm and it becomes checked luggage - and your airline (especially low costs) may have even smaller limits
Old May 17th, 2007, 05:02 AM

In summary, there's no single answers. It depend on:

- Which airport. US airports have no sizer, while many European ones (especially UK) have.

- Which airline. Most US-based airlines don't care much, but European and other airlines care more. Some airlines also weigh your carry-on at certain airports.

- Which gate agent. A cranky one or one that likes to find rules to apply to you, may deny you while another may not care.

- How full your flight is and whether you can find space for your bag. It doesn't matter how small your bag is. If it doesn't fit anywhere in the cabin (and you don't want it underneath the seat in front of you), it's going to be gate-checked.

As to the OP, I have gone through CDG security a few times in the last 1.5 years at 2A and 2F. I haven't had any problem with my 21" roller.
Old May 17th, 2007, 06:20 AM

<<I wish you could only bring a small personal bag for medicines and toiletries only.>>

I don't agree. I take a 19" roller with an extra pair of shoes, a change of clothes, a sweater, camera and meds, etc.

I know too many people whose luggage has been lost, most recently a friend who flew to Egypt for three weeks. I don't want to spend my time and money in France, Italy, Egypt or anywhere else trying to find shoes and clothes to fit. And I don't want to spend two or more weeks wearing the clothes that I flew in.

If there was a guarantee that my luggage would arrive when I do, I'd happily check my suitcase and carry a small bag with just meds and toiletries.
Old May 17th, 2007, 08:10 AM

Flying across the pond is usually ok, but it is the flights within Europe that can be a problem.

I've seen them board a plane in Europe in ten minutes. They open the front and back door. Very few people carry large suitcases so boarding is quick.
Old May 17th, 2007, 09:05 AM

<<I don't agree. I take a 19" roller with an extra pair of shoes, a change of clothes, a sweater, camera and meds, etc.

I know too many people whose luggage has been lost, most recently a friend who flew to Egypt for three weeks.>>

I carry a small back pack with my stuff and a change of clothes. I don't know anyone who can take three weeks worth of clothes in small carry-on. I guess you could if you wanted to spend every other day doing laundry. I guess I'm lucky I don't know anyone personally who's lost their luggage. Have had some co-workers who's suitcases arrived and were delivered to the hotel the next morning. Of course it's all a personal preference.
Old May 17th, 2007, 10:13 AM

It is the "check frame" rather than the measurement that matters. If it fits in the frame and is not overweight, no problem. An overstuffed bag of otherwise legal size is not okay.

Two weeks ago at Heathrow and CDG, flying BA in both directions, I never saw anyone's bag measured with a tape but I did see one obviously stuffed bag get sent to the frame, and all carry on bags were weighed.

What they were absolutely rigid about in London but not in Paris was the single carry on rule: in London, if the purse didn't fit in the carryon, the carryon became checked baggage. In Paris, the same airline allowed some people to carry on both purses and carryons or computers and carryons for a Paris to London flight, just like in the US. But no rollaboard + tote + purse + computer, ladies!
Old May 17th, 2007, 03:14 PM

<<< and all carry on bags were weighed. >>>

BA don't have a weight restriction on hand luggage except for some of their smaller subsidiaries where every gram has to be accounted for
Old May 17th, 2007, 03:14 PM

<<< What they were absolutely rigid about in London but not in Paris was the single carry on rule >>>

There's no single bag rule in Paris
Old May 18th, 2007, 08:12 AM

<<I don't know anyone who can take three weeks worth of clothes in small carry-on.>>

Pulley, I think you misunderstood my post. I check my suitcase but also take a 19" with shoes, a change of clothes etc. in case my checked suitcase doesn't arrive. At least it would give me a few days without having to shop.

I took a two-week tour of Italy a couple of years ago and almost half the the participants' luggage didn't arrive when we did. Some of it came a few days later but a few people spent the entire tour with no luggage.

Old May 18th, 2007, 09:52 AM

You're right, sorry if I offended you.
Old May 19th, 2007, 06:48 AM

Pulley,
No offense taken. Have a great weekend.