Time Needed to Make Flight to Shannon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As an infrequent overseas traveler, I need experienced travelers opinions on how much time is enough to make a connection in Boston on June 4th for a flight to Shannon which is scheduled to leave Boston at 7:30 PM.

Is a scheduled arrival in Boston at 5:15 too late to safely make the connection ? If so, ideally ,what arrival time in Boston would provide enough of a buffer to make the 7:30 departure from Boston? The flight into Boston will be on a separate ticket from the flight to Shannon.

Thanks.
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 05:42 PM
J62

You say different ticket, but what airline(s)? If they are are same or partner airlines then you should be able to check in all the way to Shannon at your home airport.

Biggest variables are
1) can you check-in for your Shannon flight earlier in the day, either online or through partner airline operating the 1st leg.
2) baggage - will you need to retrieve bags from 1st airline then check-in w/ 2nd or not?

Generally speaking, I'd be comfortable with a 2hr 15min layover under just about any circumstances. Checking in/connecting to a flight to Shannon is not really any different than taking a domestic US flight, with the exception that you'll need to show the airline your passport. Other than that you'd be hard pressed to even know you were on an international flight.
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 08:07 PM

On two tickets, you're not protected on the 2nd flight in case of a delay of the first flight, and while Aer Lingus likely will try to accommodate you if that happens, they don't have to. And you'll also be lower in their priority to help than those who miss their connection on single ticket.

With flight delays around the US northeast so common - even if BOS isn't as bad as the NYC airports - I won't be that comfortable with a 2:15 connection. One major thunderstorm, and ATC placed a 2-hour ground delay for your flight into BOS and you may be hosed.
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 08:12 PM

Also, if you're flying domestic into BOS, and unless you're flying Southwest, you will need to transfer to Terminal E and reclear security there.
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice...it is very helpful and will guide my plans accordingly.