Search

This is so sad

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is so sad

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/am...h9U6&wom=false

Grupo Mexicana halts airline operations due to financial problemsBy the CNN Wire StaffAugust 28, 2010 -- Updated 1831 GMT (0231 HKT)

Mexico City, Mexico (CNN) -- Grupo Mexicana suspended operations at its three airlines Saturday "until further notice," citing the financial problems inherited when the group changed owners a week ago.

The company's three airlines -- Mexicana Airlines, MexicanaClick and MexicanaLink -- stopped all flights at midday Saturday, according to a statement from the group.

"Today's decision is a painful one for the 8,000-strong Grupo Mexicana family, but we will continue seeking out ways of securing the company's long-term financial viability, so our passengers can once again enjoy the quality services they are accustomed to," the statement said. "We hope to be back in the air soon and would like to thank everyone involved in this process for their support and understanding."

Grupo Mexicana said the current management received the company in a state of technical bankruptcy last week after it had filed for insolvency protection. It also cited the fact that the previous management had stopped selling tickets for the airlines a month ago, "forcing the company to continue operating in the interests of passengers without receiving any revenue."

The company advised passengers still holding tickets to consult its website to apply for refunds, or for those traveling Saturday, to contact Grupo Mexicana for assistance.
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 06:15 PM

And, your point being....???
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 06:26 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Rastaguy -- and your point is???
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 06:36 PM

The person is reporting public information, not asking for help or giving help.

I thought the point of this forum was to help others in their travels.

I would have to assume that one should not have to rely on this forum for "breaking news" of public information, particluarly since some of the news is over 30 days old.

N'est pas?
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 08:20 PM

It's not unusual for people to post news in these forums.
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 08:32 PM

Rasta - if you are going to be pretentiously snarky, at least spell it correctly. <i>n'est-ce pas</i>

EuropeanVacation - no, I do not find it sad when a poorly managed company selling an overpriced product goes away. Not intending sarcasm, really do believe it was a mercy killing that was overdue. They even got kicked out of Star Alliance for failing to maintain minimum standards.
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 09:35 PM

Seamus,

My apologies. My French is rusty, as probably I am also.

I totally agree with your last paragraph.

Do you think the new owners walked in and said "merde" or this was a political two-step?

Once again, it's, unfortunately, all about the profit, not the customer.
Old Aug 30th, 2010, 11:11 AM

No, they probably said "que mierda" ;-)
Old Aug 30th, 2010, 02:12 PM

I do think it's rather sad because my one experience on Mexicana was so positive. I flew LAX to Guadalajara last February and the Mexicana flight was wonderful. The plane was newish, the coach seats spacious comfortable (I'm plus-sized so I really notice that), the service staff pleasant, and the personnel in GDL from desk clerks to security were pleasant and efficient. Everything was manually done in terms of bag/security checking, but it went smoothly and despite out limited Spanish we had no problems at the counter or with any staff member. I was planning on returning to Mexico in the new year and would have chosen to fly Mexicana again. Too bad they couldn't sustain their operations.
Old Aug 30th, 2010, 07:19 PM

There are always newer planes and new memories. I remember when a passenger wasn't treated like cattle, and "one" dressed up for flying.

Nowdays, every summer is like boarding a Greyhound bus. I usually bet my seatmate on whether or not a plastic pink flamingo will be carried on. Unfortunately, I win that bet far too often.

Quadalajara is a very nice place to visit, and has always seemed so reasonable.

There's probably Alaska Airlines flying down there from LAX, maybe even Take a Chance Airways (TACA) also.

Frankly, the violence in the country dampens the mood for a visit to Mexico.

Seaumus with probably correct me on this, as he should, but mas cervaza por-favor, and s'il vous plait.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 10:33 PM

Mexicana was not always overpriced. I had an excellent price on a nonstop ticket that I am now in the process of getting refunded from AMEX. I never did get the chance to take a Mexicana flight, but there are no nonstop options for YVR-MEX now.

This is the second time I`ve booked on a Mexican airline that went bankrupt! The previous one was Alma de Mexico, a low-cost carrier.
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 10:43 AM

Two years ago, I booked tickets for 12 people RT from Sacramento to Cabo San Lucas on Mexicana for less than half the price to fly RT from Reno. Sac is 3 hours from my home, Reno is 1.5, but for less than half the price, we chose to fly out of Sac. We were treated well, actually got served a MEAL~a hot one!!~and were very open to flying Mexicana again. I was sorry to see them go under.
Old Sep 4th, 2010, 06:08 AM

Not so sad, actually - the Economist had an interesting article about how this will actually be GOOD for Mexican airlines - someone will take over Mexicana and require them to be more cost efficient and also no one is allowed to take over their routes while they sort them selves out.

I do feel for my friend, who is a Mexicana flight attendant.
Old Sep 4th, 2010, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

usernameistaken on Sep 4, 10 at 10:08am
Not so sad, actually - the Economist had an interesting article about how this will actually be GOOD for Mexican airlines - someone will take over Mexicana and require them to be more cost efficient and also no one is allowed to take over their routes while they sort them selves out.

I do feel for my friend, who is a Mexicana flight attendant.
-------------

Hopefully the employees will get their jobs back when the take over is complete. the job loss is what I feel bad about, really.