Swissair Light ... buyer beware?

Dec 2nd, 2018, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Swissair Light ... buyer beware?

For the past 2 years we've flown Swissair from North America to Grec - it's been fine. This year they are offering a Light fare...carry on bags only. I am little concerned. Thoughts?
Dec 3rd, 2018, 06:05 AM

My thoughts are why would anyone be concerned about that? Many airlines offer carry-on only fares.
Dec 3rd, 2018, 06:42 AM

Swiss International (Swissair went to heaven years ago) is owned by Lufthansa (as is Austrian) and they all seem to be offering these "stripped" fares for transatlantic travel. The old (inclusive of baggage etc.) fares are still there, just check before you drop the penny.
Dec 4th, 2018, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

I’ve taken the same flight for the same price the past 2 years. First time the low doesn’t include one checked bag. I think we could probably manage...we are a family of four who are traveling about ten days. We could do laundry in Greece and just not buy anything. Or maybe we could do one ticket with a checked bag the rest without.
Dec 4th, 2018, 11:44 AM

What is the fee to check a bag?
Dec 4th, 2018, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

120 each way!
Dec 4th, 2018, 05:48 PM

Is that for 4 bags or just one? If for 4, then that's about $30 each and that's not too bad and about what mist airlines charge for checked bag on an economy fare. If $120 is per bag then too much.
Dec 5th, 2018, 03:11 AM

Economy Saver fare on Swiss (Swissair ceased to exist years ago) $730 pp, this includes 23 kg luggage
Light Fare $641pp, hand luggage only fare
Diff $89 for 23 kg checked luggage for the whole trip ie 4 flights as they are connections via ZRH
Overall diff $360 for 92 kgs each way (23kg x 4 travellers) . Or take hand luggage only and spend vacation time at the laundry.
Could book some of your party on the Economy saver fare and some take the Light fare only.
Dec 5th, 2018, 06:41 AM

If you split the family between two fares, I suspect there will be no way to guarantee sitting together without further fees.
As an aside, Mrs. P and I do 10 day trips carry on only without laundering. No one cares if you wear a shirt a second day.
Dec 5th, 2018, 08:24 AM

If you split the family between two fares, you can call the airline to cross reference the bookings so you can be seated together (to complete party). Else sit separately or close by. In the heat of Greece, wearing a shirt a second day or anything else for that matter, is not very pleasant and would not be an option for me but each to their own.
Dec 5th, 2018, 10:29 AM

What's the concern, you either want to check a bag and pay for it or you don't. So previously you had no choice and paid for it anyway, it was just you had to. I don't get why people are so cheap about checking baggage and paying for it when they always have paid for it before with no choice, when they spend so much money on other things on their trip.
Dec 5th, 2018, 12:08 PM

Odin: I have never spent my vacation in the laundry. Ever. A few minutes in the evening once or twice washing a few things by hand, they easily dry over night.

you have posted several times to the effect that anyone who manages to travel carry on only is dirty, a slob, or both. Ain't the case. If you don't want to, that is your choice of course. But I honestly don't understand your prejudice against those who can/do
Dec 6th, 2018, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Whoa, this thread has taken on a life of its own! I have considered booking two full fares, two light - one parent with each kid. Honestly, we probably need to check only one bag anyway - perhaps we should just suck it up and pay the bag fe for that one bag. We have to manage two small kids and and all the luggage as we traipse around - so maybe forced carryon only is the way to go! I've just never done it before. I am also concerned with the Light fares restrictions - no changes, even for a fee! we've booked that fare before with no problems though - just took travel insurance.
Dec 6th, 2018, 04:44 PM

We always travelled carryon with three kids, even when they were small. Small kids have small clothes. Real easy. We’d buy the odd tee-shirt somewhere, which took care of another day.

Personally I think it’s good practice for the kids to get used to travelling light. Though you haven’t stated their ages. Maybe they’re too young to take much from the experience.
Dec 6th, 2018, 09:41 PM

What are the carry on limits for Swiss? You can get ALOT of summer clothing into a carry on. What you can't do is bring large bottles of liquids. Buy sunscreen etc on arrival.

It also helps to have a lightweight carry on.

But weight how much you would wear at home. My guess is you aren't wearing an 1kg of clothing each summer day. Especially since the clothing you wear onto the plane won't be weighed.

Search this Thread