How does Ryanair measure cabin baggage?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In all airlines I've taken, I've never had to think about measuring my cabin baggage. But now I'm taking Ryanair, and wondering how they measure the bag - is there some kind of contraption at the airport in which you put the bag? I am carrying a backpack which is one or two centimeters wider than allowed if the front pocket is included in the measurement, but if the pocket is empty and squeezed flat then the bag just meets the 20 cm limit. Advice please!
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 09:40 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i>I've never had to think about measuring my cabin baggage.</i>"

That seems odd to me since most airlines have size limits for cabin bags. Some enforce it more strictly than others, but every airline I've flown has had size requirements.

But yes - RyanAir is one that doe strictly enforce their rules. If there is any question your backpack is oversized - you will have will have to fit it in the sizer box. And if it is too large you'll have to check it and pay.

My suggestion is to definitely not over-stuff the bag so it is "squishable" enough to fit in the sizer.
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 03:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's a sizer - which is a box - into which you put your luggage. If you can't put it in in such a way that nothing sticks out then it's too big.

So don't overstuff your bag and hope it squashes.

NOTE they have been known to do it at the gate - so watch what you buy airside especially as Ryanair are very strict on one bag meainng precisely that rather than one bag plus a purse plus a small backpack plus food to feed the 5000 plus reading material for the 5000 plus your booze & smellies