Stickers on Passport

Jul 10th, 2019, 08:11 PM
Original Poster

Stickers on Passport

Going to Germany later this year. I've been seeing things about people getting stickers put on their passports when checking in at European airports for their flights back to the U.S.(additional security is what I'm understanding the stickers are for). I plan on checking in online the day before and only bringing carry-on luggage. Since it looks like people get these stickers when they check in at the airport, will I still need to go to the ticket counter in Frankfurt to get it (assuming that I do need a sticker) even though I will have already checked in online and not checking a bag? Or should I just go old-school and check in at the ticket counter anyway?
Jul 10th, 2019, 10:01 PM

If you can check in online and are traveling with only carry on, by all means skip the counter. You may well be asked security questions about your bag (who packed it? when? has it been out of your control since? anyone give you anything to carry? etc.) at some point prior to actually boarding and those stickers put on your passport cover. If not, don't worry.
Jul 11th, 2019, 08:19 AM
P_M

I was in Germany last month and I didn't get a sticker.
Jul 11th, 2019, 10:01 AM

It may depend on your airline. We flew United last October and were told to go to a counter (staffed by United employees) across from our departure gate. We already had our boarding passes and did not have checked luggage. They asked us a few security questions and stuck a sticker on the back of our passports which was checked by the GA when we boarded. Folks who tried to board without the sticker were sent over to the counter. YMMV
Jul 11th, 2019, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone! For what it's worth, I'm flying with Delta Airlines.
Jul 15th, 2019, 10:51 AM

And what kind of stickers? I have never had stickers. And nobody gave them to me. And what are they for?
Jul 15th, 2019, 11:21 AM

Ours were tiny round stickers the size of a collar button, which the agent initialed, showing we had "passed" the extra security questions.