Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Domestic travel cancellation and delays in US

Jun 26th, 2019, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

I went to visit a cousin in PA last week and she said to fly into Trenton, ten-minute drive for them. I found out Frontier was the airline but direct flight so booked it. A very cramped but short trip so dealt with it. Coming home we had four delays and then they cancelled the flight. The plane broke in SC. The same plane was cancelled day before. No flights till Wed. This was Sunday so went back to cousins and did the rebook on tripeasy for a Philly flight on different airline as I could not wait till Wed to fly home. Southwest was showing 500 plus one way tickets and found one on AA but went to book and sold out. We were on it within minutes. We found a later on for 433.00 but it was almost sold out so bought seat after booking when AA showed me not having a seat. 35 more dollars. The ticket agent said uber would be covered to Philly etc. Long story short, they only cover 400.00 I felt really bad for all those families headed to Orlando. Next day I get to airport, we board and the pilot tells us we have a maintenance issue. One hour at most. We get off after an hour and 15 minutes. They delay again and again fixing the tail. It was flapping. Speed tape has to set up. We were delayed over three hours. I put in a request for compensation. My free gin and tonic is not going to cut this. If a cheap flight maybe but 460 was crazy. Do I have a chance of getting any compensation? Frontier has told me a 400 check will be coming but what about AA? I was cranky but there were at least four Irish families on board. Long arse day and btw they were all worried about their rental cars being given away. YES, they were all driving. I feel better venting about this. I was talking to a gate agent and she said the boeing plane fiasco is killing them and other airlines. Not enough planes.
Jun 26th, 2019, 12:41 PM

What a horrible story. Sorry this happened to you. I do't have any solutions but I would keep on them to try and compensate you. Would you consider miles being offere?
Jun 26th, 2019, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Yes to AA miles or a voucher. I was just thinking about Frontier but then read about Domestic delays and saw the two hour mark. We were all talking on the plane about why we were made to deplane and then backed out and sat. I think crew gets paid once plane backs away from gate but we didn't go anywhere and then we got to Orlando and had to wait for gate. That is typical of Orlando though. The pilot made us all a little mad because he had to have know a flapping tail wasn't a quick fix.
Jun 26th, 2019, 02:03 PM

I’m not 100% sure I follow what happened.

In the case of mechanical delays, airlines are required to give you meal vouchers and pay for a hotel stay if the delay requires you to overnight somewhere. (A mechanical delay is their fault.) You went back to your cousins’ house. If AA eventually got you to your destination, they don’t owe you anything else. They never have to promise when they’ll get you there, only that they will get you there eventually. Frustrating, right? They only promise that they’ll get you on the next flight out with seats. With planes running nearly full these days, you’re lucky to get out the same day. Even in good times, making another plane suddenly appear is tough in situations like these. AA has been hit especially hard by the Boeing 737 Max grounding. They have no spare planes at all.

It sounds like Frontier reimbursed you for the original flight you could not take. AA might throw some frequent-flyer miles your way for your inconvenience, but they’re not going to give you any cash and likely not a voucher either.
Jun 26th, 2019, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

I have been to flyer talk and omg Frontier is a nightmare. It might take two weeks or three months to get 400 but that is all. The gate agent was telling everyone that the taxi or uber to Philly would be paid with the ticket. They got that wrong. AA might give me some points as I fly with them but as you said I was lucky to get home before midnight. I do think there are no airplanes to spare for mechanical issues. It is a bit scary as someone noted the tail and said this was a maintenance fix that was scheduled on the tarmac. They could not afford to not fly the plane. It had two more legs to do after dropping us off. The people waiting to board in Orlando looked as miserable as we did.
Jun 26th, 2019, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

I told my husband he is giving me the Chase Sapphire card from now on for booking tickets. We always do for international and just never thought of it booking this ticket.
Jun 30th, 2019, 06:18 AM

This is exactly why I hesitate to book flights with frontier (or other small airlines). One problem and their entire schedule is out of whack. At least in a larger (legacy) carrier, they have multiple flights/day they can move you to. If they can find a seat.

We were scheduled to fly into Jacksonville once - heading to Orlando but was too expensive (Times 5 people). Flight to J-ville way overbooked - we volunteered - if they would put us on the flight at the next gate to orlando (leaving same time). (And only if we had seat assignments). We carried on so no issues there. They were happy to do that, we changed our car and hotel reservation and ended up saving a few hour drive! That could never have happened with a small carrier.
Jun 30th, 2019, 03:59 PM

Not always -- yesterday my grandkids and SIL had a morning UA flight out of EWR canceled and they couldn't get on another one until Monday.
Jul 7th, 2019, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yestravel View Post
Not always -- yesterday my grandkids and SIL had a morning UA flight out of EWR canceled and they couldn't get on another one until Monday.
That is correct. I tried several flights until I got a seat. I think many were booking at the same time. It would show seats and then bam they were gone. I now fear the Dreamliner will disrupt international travel. NO more Frontier. My gf talked me into an Allegiant flight for next month since it is non stop into Evansville, Indiana. I already told her if it is cancelled so is trip. We have a local Facebook page and the comments on the planes circling overhead last night off the coast had many asking why. Orlando was a mess with the thunderstorms. They really had no place to divert as Daytona was getting hit and they even cancelled the race. Around 11 I saw them flying from the coast into Orlando. I was out with the dog and one plane after another went flying over my house.

Were they compensated with meals and lodging?
Jul 7th, 2019, 08:15 AM

No compensation. Not sure if they asked for miles or anything. They live in NYC and had to cancel the trip.