Search

Some Continental Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some Continental Questions

We're planning a trip from ABI/IAH/AMS/BCN

1. The schedule that is assigned gives only 65 minutes to change from Terminal A to Terminal E in Houston. Is this doable? We are not familiar with IAH.

2. The airplane from IAH to AMS is a 767-400ER. Any information about the configuration and pitch (comfort!) on this plane?

3. If this is the schedule that is assigned to us, is Continental responsible to see that we make the flights? That's an awkward sentence. I'm trying to ask if we miss that connection, will they get us on the next one?

Thanks for any help.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 09:43 AM

1 & 3 - 65 minutes for that transfer is doable, but pretty tight. It involves a bus shuttle from Terminal A (which usually matches your arrival) to Terminal C. CO46 can depart from a gate at Terminal C or E, which are interconnected. The walk from the bus to the gate can still be quite long.

65 minutes is doable, but you don't have a lot of leeway.

CO46 is the last IAH-AMS flight, except for the KLM/Privatair all-business class flight. Most other flights to Europe will also have left or will be leaving about the same time. The only one significantly later is AF31 at 9:55p. Since CO and AF are partners, they may be able to put you on that flight, if there is room, of course.

Yes, CO will get you to BCN, but it may be next day.

2. http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Con..._767-400_A.php

I've flown on it once. Most seats are pretty decent. None of it is particularly outstanding.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 12:04 PM

My husband and I just returned from Europe. We took CO IAH-AMS, then KLM from AMS-BCN. My husband works for CO so we fly non-rev, which means space available seating

The 767 they use is one of the larger ones and it is fairly comfortable.

When we landed, we immediately headed to KLM to catch the first available flight to BCN. We did not realize just how much we had to walk to get to the other gate, then you get to their security and the line was so long. We really thought we would not make the flight we wanted, but somehow we did. When you go through their security, you must have your little plastic bag available and put it through the machine.

Also, be careful in BCN. I saw a man's attache being taken when he was not looking. Same thing when checking into hotel. Keep your eyes on your bags at all times!!
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 12:52 PM

as posted by <b>msdotliz</b>

<i>When you go through <b>their</b> security, you must have your little plastic bag available and put it through the machine.</i>

unless something has changed in the last week or so I thought <b>our</b> security requireed the same thing???
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 12:59 PM

We didn't have to do this in IAH going to AMS, or Rome to EWR. I had it ready, though, just in case.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 01:02 PM

Most of AMS' flights are operated out of one single terminal, but it's indeed pretty large. CO usually comes in to Pier G, the one that's furthest most to the West. Intra-Schengen flights depart from Piers B, C and D to the southeast side. Immigration in middle.

Some people are indeed surprised by the length of walk there.

AMS does security at each gate prior to boarding. Similar to what they do in Singapore, and different than most airports elsewhere. [The only US airport kind of similar is Kansas City (MCI).] But as long as you get to the security at that gate, they'll definitely hold the flight for you.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 01:31 PM

as posted by <b>misdotliz</b>

<i>We didn't have to do this in IAH going to AMS</i>

then you got lucky and/or had one of the TSA retards sleeping at the machine.

You have to have all liquids in a certain size plastic bag, out and ready for inspection for the TSA flunkies. The containers can't be bigger than 3.5 ozs and if any are they will be confiscated.

Ridiculous? Yes

Stupid? Most certainly

but that's the way it is flying out of any US airport according to TSA:

Here it is...

<b>3-1-1 for carry-ons = 3 ounce bottle or less; 1 quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag; 1 bag per passenger placed in screening bin. One-quart bag per person limits the total liquid volume each traveler can bring. 3 oz. container size is a security measure.</b>

straight from the source:

http://www.tsa.gov/311/index.shtm
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 01:39 PM

Correct. Liquids 3oz or less in 1qt ziplock bags, placed separately in the bin for x-ray.

Have I gone through x-ray with the liquid in my bag and wasn't noticed? Sure. But that doesn't mean it's not the policy in US and airports in most developed countries.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 01:57 PM

Being that we fly standby, all of my liquids had to be travel size. I had a tube of my medication that was larger, in my purse, just waiting to see if they wanted to see it, because it would not fit in my little plastic bag. They never said a word.

Yet they confiscated my marmalade in EWR, but not some pesto, which was in the same suitcase. Go figure.
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 10:43 AM

Just a point of clarification - AMS gate security is for non-Schengen flights. For Schengen flights, there's a central security check point right after you go through passport control to access the Schengen piers.
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 10:50 AM

Patty - Thanks for the clarification. Not enough experience for that half of AMS.