Making your connecting flights

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 08:55 AM
Kay

Making your connecting flights

I have a very short layover in JFK for connecting flight to Rome. If my flight is delayed/late getting to JFK, will they hold the Rome flight for me. Same air carrier, checked in at Seattle to Rome. A little worried as I only have 75 min. at JFK. Delta says not to worry, that's one of their regular runs. What do you all think.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 09:04 AM
Red

This is only my opinion, but 75 minutes seems OK to me. As long as you are checked in at your origin, they will hold the seat for you. I almost had my seat given away because my reservation was screwed up and I had to check in again and my plane was late in landing. I doubt they will hold the plane for you but you never know.....

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 09:09 AM
x

75 minutes is a sufficient amount of time, but you want to have your luggage checked through, and you want to have your boarding pass in hand for the flight to Rome. If there is a delay will the airline hold your flight? Well, if there are more than one of you tranferring, the answer is most likely. Besides, there are probably other Delta flights connecting to the same flight that you are on.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 09:23 AM
elvira

You won't have to go thru security at JFK, and checked bags go straight thru to Rome. Unless your inbound flight is delayed substantially, you'll have no trouble making your connection.

As to holding the plane, it all depends - IF there are a LOT of passengers from the Seattle flight connecting to the Rome flight, IF air traffic control allows a delayed departure, IF weather conditions permit...then maybe they'll hold the plane. I've been the recipient of that courtesy a couple of times, and I've been on the plane that's held for inbound passengers - but I've also been left at O'Hare when our inbound flight was 2 hours late and our outbound left on time (about 15 mins before we landed).

I know there's some website where you can check on-time history for flights...personally, I allow at least 3-hour layovers on overseas flights for the above-mentioned stranding reason.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 09:47 AM
Dawn

You will have to go through security again. I recently used Delta to go to Italy via JFK and you will go through security again even though you already went through security in Seattle (I had already gone through security in DC). Delta (domestic) typically flies into terminal 2. However, the international flights come out of terminal 1. You will have to exit terminal 2 and literally walk outside for about 150 yards. You will enter the international terminal where they require you to re-check in, which unfortunately Delta in DC did not convey to me so after standing in the security line, I got to the front and then they made me go re-check in with the airline. After I completed this, I went through security again and was able to get on the plane. The main issue is that these flights come in and out of two different terminals so you will have to go through security at JFK.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 11:22 AM
Kay

Dawn - does someone instruct you where to go etc. to get to the Terminal 1? So how long does all this take? When I bought my tickets I had a big concern about this short connection, but they assured me that it was a popular flight for people from Seattle going to Rome. So, I will keep my fingers crossed. BTW, how was your flight with Delta, I've heard some bad comments on this forum.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 11:31 AM
karen

I'm going to Italy and Paris in October. I have connecting flights and now I'm worried that I won't have enough time. My layovers are anywhere from 1 hours and 40 minutes to 2 hours and 45 minutes.

I will be carrying on my luggage and not having to spend any time going to baggage claim.

Elvira did I make a mistake in not having a bigger gap between connecting flights?

I don't think I will beable to change anything as I have a frequent flyer ticket.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 11:42 AM
J T Kirk

The last two times I've connected in JFK to go to Europe, I have nearly missed my flight. I think I had 75 to 90 minutes between flights. Both time I was on Delta. Both times I had called ahead to make sure I had enough time. Most airlines will tell you how much time to allow. I think 90 minutes is the minumum.
But, both times, I nearly missed the flight in JFk and had to run through the airport. (Actually, one time Delta had one of those little carts waiting at the gate for us.)(The other flight I nearly missed was itself delayed because so many international passengers coming in from various destinations had been delayed due to bad weather throughout the US.)
Delta, and I suspect most airlines, realizes that international passengers are were they make most of their money. I have heard that international passengers get "special" treatment, e.g., they'll have someone meet you at the gate if you're running behind, etc. But I wouldn't count on this.
The biggest potential delays for summer air travellers is the weather. That's what nearly did me in both times. Bad weather.
This is all pre-9/11, so I don't know if things have changed.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 12:03 PM
Andre

Kirk,

Actually, airlines make the most on passengers travelling NONSTOP. Connecting passengers are just there to fill the seats and add a little contribution margin... Why do you think it's always cheaper to fly with a change than it is to go nonstop?

It's precisely this inane pricing system - charge outrageous prices for business travelers from my fortress hub, dump my unsold inventory on my neighbour's turf through bizarre channels like consolidators, Priceline etc. and try to bully any competing startup airlines out of business, which has led to the disastrous financial condition of the major airlines in the US and Europe. That was my rant.

Kay, I think 75 minutes is a VERY close connection. However, the good thing is, Delta also codeshares with Air France, which has a very late flight from JFK to Paris. So if you miss your direct connection to Italy, kick and scream until they rebook you via Paris!

Andre

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 12:12 PM
J T Kirk

Andre-

What I meant was that international passengers, on average, pay more than domestic passengers. So, when you're on a connecting flight to JFK, that usually means some (and maybe a lot) of those passengers on your plane are going on to an international destination. I have heard that if there's a fair number of international passengers on your flight, the airline (in this case Delta) will bend over backwards (within reason) to make sure you make their flight.

I have also heard that if there has been a long weather delay and there are 30 planes, let's say, all due to take off, the international flights get bumped to the front (over domestic flights).

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 12:16 PM
Dawn

Kay -

Actually, it was difficult to figure out (in the beginning) how to get from Terminal 2 to 1. I got off my Delta flight and asked the agent where my connecting flight would be departing from and she said that she did not know which gate, but that I would be using terminal 1. She told me that terminal one was to the left. I started walking around and there were no signs and then an airport employee told me I actually had to walk outside to connect to that terminal, which I founf rather odd. Usually you connect to other terminals via trains or walking indoors. You walk out the main terminal doors and turn left. You will see a large building and just walk towards it (it is not labeled). You then proceed immediately upstairs (downstairs is where all the family members are waiting for international arrivals). Upstairs is where you have to re-check in (for some unknown reason). I already had my boarding pass. Anyway, then you wait in the international security line. Then proceed to your gate. I believe that all the international flights go out of Terminal 1, but it is possible that I am mistaken.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 02:33 PM
Kay

Dawn, how much time do you estimate this took? I can't believe a big airport like that would not have the terminals well marked. It is reassuring to know, hopefully, that I will be able to make this connection with not too much difficulty. Thanks

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 03:09 AM
gail

JFK is the most confusing airport I have ever encountered. My husband travels about 1/2 time and avoids JFK unless absolutely necessary.

Kay, I too could not believe that a bid gateway airport would not have well-marked signs, info desks, etc. - but it is true! It is also very tough in some terminals to find someone to give you a correct answer. The key here is whether or not you will have to change terminals - JFK is a rather sprawling airport with a shuttle bus that runs the circuit. If you are in the same terminal and your first flight is reasonably on time, you should be fine.

Also, we had difficulty finding something to eat in international area of JFK. After a cross-country flight and then a flight to Rome, it might be a good idea to bring some sort of snack - they will feed you on both of these flights, but who knows what or when.

Our airline and travel agent tried to sell us a 30 minute connection at JFK for an overseas flight, telling us it was a "legal" connection, etc. We paid extra to change our flight. But if I had 75 minutes, I think I would risk it.

They will probably hold your seat if you have checked in to Rome at Seattle, but they willnot hold up a plane from departing if you are late.

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 05:48 AM
Dawn

Luckily for me the security line in the international terminal was very, very short (flew on a Saturday afternoon). Therefore, finding someone to help me find terminal 1, walking over there, going upstairs, re-checking in, waiting in the line and getting to the gate probably took about 35 to 40 minutes at the most. As long as your flight is not late you will be fine.

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 07:55 AM
Joyce

75 minutes is cutting it close. If your first flight is late, do not expect your second flight to wait for you. There is completely at the discretion of the airlines: There are no FAA rules about this. I learned this lesson the hard way:

A few months ago I was on a Delta flight from Tampa to JFK that was 90 minutes late arriving at JFK. The 90 minutes delay was caused by 100% by Delta incompetence (no weather problems or any other justifiable excuse).

Many passengers had connecting flights to Europe and Asia. To my knowledge, most of the connecting flights did not wait. I know this happened, because I also had a connecting flight, and had to go to the rebooking desk along with all the other passengers who missed their flights.

I was particularly angry because my connecting flight was also on Delta. Delta refused to even hold its own plane. When my Delta flight arrived late at JFK, the arrival was only 5 minutes after the departure time for my connecting flight. In other words, Delta refused to hold its own connecting flight for even 5 minutes!

I was so angry about this experience, I wrote to the FAA and Delta to complain. This was when I learned that airlines can do as they please. The departure time printed on your ticket is meaningless.

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 08:12 AM
Aaron

A few years back I was returning home to Los Angeles from London via Houston after a semester abroad for college. We weer about an hour late leaving London and I only had a 90 minute layover in Houston. We our plane landed in Houston, a lot of other international flights had just landed and it took forever to get my luggage. By the time I got it, re-checked it through to Los Angeles, even though both legs were on Continental, and went through security, I only had about 3 minutes to make my connecting flight!!!
I ran the entire way and as I came huffing and puffing up to the gate, they were just closing the jetway door. I quickly yelled "wait, I'm on this flight" and they re-opened it and let me board.
I had heard in customs there were quite a few of us trying to get on this LA flight and I even passed some of the slower runners in the airport.
Continental held the flight for as long as they could and i think about half of us made it on. Of course, everyone on board was not pleased... having to wait for us late international arrivals.
But Continental did hold the plane for us.