So would you fly Air China JFK- Pek?

Apr 10th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

So would you fly Air China JFK- Pek?

I am trying to get my daughter to china and back on a complicated voyage. The first segment is JFK to PEK on Air China. I am limited because the DD has to be in PEK between 1 pm & 6:30 on 5/25 and many flights don't land in this "window". Have been trying to get an Air Canada one, but it won't ever let me book, plus is about $500 more on the total journey.

Have never heard from anyone flying this line. Saw some comments here about safety. Uggh. Anyone have input?
Apr 10th, 2008, 06:46 PM

Air China is okay. I won't worry about safety, despite some of the stuff you've read there (which I'm not saying isn't true).

But did you check Continental's non-stop from EWR? It arrives 1:50p. It's a lot more expensive if you just buy it one-way, but with the other flights it may not be that much more expensive.
Apr 11th, 2008, 01:38 AM

Air China is actually an ok airline, and they have been a member of Star Alliance for several months. Their safety record is good, especially in the past 10 years or so since Chinese aviation has dramatically improved their practices.

Don't confuse Air China with China Airlines. The latter is the Taiwan national airline, and they have had a particularly spotty safety record over the past 10-15 years.
Apr 12th, 2008, 04:00 AM

i have a question - so if Air China is a member of Star Alliance does that mean we can upgrade our seats to first class with Delta points and if so does anyone know how many it would take? We are on a tour so that may be a problem also? Thank you for any help.
Apr 12th, 2008, 05:38 AM

Delta is in Skyteam, not Star Alliance. And I don't think you can upgrade with, say, United points either.