Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Skyauction.com - Has it been good to you?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2003, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm considering trying this for some travel to Australia. Question is, what kind of limitations are there when you buy these tickets that are on "a major US carrier" and "can be used anytime before June 2004"? Would like some firsthand opinions. Thanks for your feedback.
Mary
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 11:44 AM

I used SkyAuction to purchase airline tickets to Jamaica in March of this year. I didn't have any problems whatsoever. Once I won the auction, the transaction was very smooth. I received an email from SkyAuction with my confirmation number and was able to go onto the airline's web site (we were on American) and look up my reservation, pick my seats, etc. SkyAuction even gave them my frequent flyer number. I don't remember there being any limitations on the tickets; only an extra charge if I wanted to travel to/from my destination on a Sat./Sun. But that was clearly stated in the terms of the acution and since we were travelling during the week, it didn't bother me. I would definitely use them again.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 02:49 PM

Only one US carrier flys to Oz...UA, and they are considering stopping that service. Fares are very inexpensive now so unless you can pay less than 800.00 you will be paying too much, depending on your travel dates.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 09:16 PM
MD

Some (some!) of the tickets being offered say "subject to availability of class". This could mean "Well, only if coach isn't full"; or it could mean you're buying the equivalent of frequent-flyer tickets.

For Air Canada (And United, Air NZ?) there is absolutely NO outbound tickets from mid-December to mid-February to Australia or NZ.

I kind of wonder whether I would be buying a useless ticket if I wanted to fly in January sometime? How unavailable does the booking have to be before it becomes a case of misrepresentation? Are these in fact slightly or highly unavailable tickets?
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 09:18 PM
MD

Sorry - let me clarify. Air Canada has no reward miles (Aeroplan) tickets available for December thru mid-Feb, through themselves or partners. I assume there are lotsa coach tickets.