Singapore Airlines

May 7th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Singapore Airlines

Flying JFK / FRA in coach on Singapore Airlines first time, what to expect. Also, are we still taking off shoes going thru security?
Thanks, Andrea
May 7th, 2009, 01:09 PM

Can't answer your question about Singapore Airlines but regarding the removal of your shoes at the security checkpoint - the answer a resounding MAYBE. In my recent experience this seems to be one of those arbitrary actions taken by the TSA. Most times they will ask you to remove your shoes but sometimes they don't.
May 7th, 2009, 01:15 PM

Yes, you must take off your shoes. I cannot recall a US airport in the past year where they didn't make me!

As for Singapore... you can expect MUCH better service then you would have gotten on a US Carrier. Even in Coach it's a dramatically superior product!
May 7th, 2009, 03:06 PM
J62

I've flown Singapore JFK -> FRA several times and refuse to ever again. Here's why.

When I fly that route my single purpose is to get a good rest so I can get to work upon arrival. I like an after dinner departure, I don't eat on the plane, I get right to sleep, and stay asleep until as close to landing as possible.

IMO airlines like AA (which doesn't fly the JFK-FRA route) understand the value of a quiet, dark cabin. On Singapore many of the passengers are flying on to Singapore or other points in the far east - that leg is the start of a very, very long trek and they don't need to go to work upon arrival.

The cabin crew doles out service, noisy, bright light service lasting 3+ hrs after takeoff, and starting again about 2hrs before landing.

If you want service, then fly Singapore. If you want sleep, choose wisely.

On the return flight FRA-JFK I love Singapore - it leaves early in the day and I can be home by noon.
May 7th, 2009, 03:52 PM

I would fly them over any airline. The "Service" alone makes it worthwhile (but then I can also sleep right through Cabin service and have quite often on just about anyone!)

I don't fly out of JFK, but can tell you that the option you describe sounds like a routine DL flight out of Atlanta.

And it's not that the airlnes "understand the value of a quiet, dark cabin" It's the crew that does. If you are asleep they don't have to provide any service. Singapore views the service differently IMHO!
May 7th, 2009, 05:10 PM

We flew SIA last year out of JFK. It was a good flight, after the "normal" long wait for a takeoff slot out of JFK. Service was leaps and bounds beyond American carriers. Snacks, water, etc., always available. Smiling staff.

The 747s they still fly on this route are long in the tooth. While they do offer AVOD, which is great, the plane itself is just old. Indeed, one of our seat's was broken (missing screw or similar), such that maintenance came on board to inspect it and we had to sit in another seat on takeoff and landing. Still one of the top airlines out there.

On the sleep issue, maybe because our flight had a couple of hour weather delay, and a wait to takeoff but, after dinner service the cabin was almost entirely dark and sleep seemed to be paramount for most folks. We were indeed heading onto SIN, but still wanted nothing more but to sleep.
May 11th, 2009, 05:52 PM

Flew Singapore Air from Vancouver to Singapore through Korea last April. Absolutely the best in cabin crew. The flight was not full so when I started to nod off the young lady asked me if I would like to stretch out on some of the empty seats. No one was disturbed if it looked like they were sleeping and the cabin was kept dark (even though the flight left at 2pm). I missed out on the Dove ice cream bar because I drifted off!
I could have had it later but their meals more than satisfied me and I knew I would be doing nothing but eat in Singapore.