Showers at Heathrow Airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2006, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to know if Economy passengers can use the showers, how much they are, and what is included, e.g. towels, soap, shampoo, etc.
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

I forgot hair dryers.
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 06:48 AM

This is from NY Times Travel Published: April 29, 2001

==============

Pay toilets are not new, but a pay-as-you-go lounge with showers is a first at Heathrow Airport in London.

The lounge, in Terminal 3, mainly used for international arrivals, is available from 5 a.m. to 2 p.m. every day to anyone, regardless of airline or class of ticket. The charge is $35.75 a person, at $1.43 to the pound, and no reservations are required. No one under 16 is admitted, and those 16 and 17 must be accompanied by someone 18 or older.

The lounge, called the Island, is operated by BAA, formerly the British Airports Authority. It has 29 shower stalls supplied with toiletries and towels, and attendants provide free steam cleaning and shoeshines. Satellite TV is available as well as Internet connections, a fax machine, a copier and a printer. Snacks, wine and beer are included in the cost of entry.

Information: (44-208) 745-7935 between 5 a.m. and 2 p.m. London time (midnight to 9 a.m. in New York); www.baa.co.uk.

Hope this helps... {maybe try posting on Europe board too}
Debi
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 07:53 AM

Debi, I thought...WOW, what a great exchange rate $1.43 to the pound...then I saw that the article was from 2001. LOL!
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 03:09 PM

I actually saw the showers at Heathrow last spring. Went to use bathroom and somehow took wrong exit from huge bathroom and ended up in shower area. While I have no idea what amenities they have, I was pleasantly surprised to see that they were clean and non-creepy.
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 11:38 PM

If there's one place in the world out-of-date reprints of ancient publicity handouts should never be trusted, it's Heathrow. Where facilities change practically daily, and the act of changing can take months.

Some airlines have shower facilities for both arriving and departing passengers. Some restrict them to premium passengers: others extend them to top-grade frequent fliers. You should check with your airline what they offer and whether you're eligible.

There have always been public, pay as you go showers at Heathrow (the NYT article was nonsense at the time, and as far as I'm aware the facility referred to in the uncritical reprint of someeone's PR no longer exists).

However there is no public shower currently (October 2006) operating in the departures area of T3.

The Heathrow website has a list of publicly available showers and their locations. The URL for this page frequently changes, as does its content.

Select any terminal from the menu at www.heathrowairport.com, then go to "toilets and showers" in the subsequent left hand menu. All public facilities, at all terminals, aer then displayed.

Each location offers different facilities. And you must double-check just before getting on a plane, since Heathrow is in a perpetual state of flux.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 09:38 AM

I think the only one groundside is at T4.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 02:51 AM

Penny1,
I don't know of any airlines that would
let economy passengers use arrival lounges (or hotel suites nearby).
Check LHR website for public showers--I highly doubt they offer amenities. Definitely not hair dryers. I haven't seen or heard of T3 "Island" lounges.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 01:25 PM

Showers & facilities at Heathrow - http://tinyurl.com/ovohw
Old Oct 31st, 2006, 06:46 AM

I used the shower at Heathrow several years ago. I had a hangover. Imagine. Got bumped up to Business Class from Economy. Showers were private but I did have a little problem opening the suitcase in the small room. They provided a towel, but no wash clothes. Wash clothes haven't been invented in Europe yet.

Last year I walked by the showers and they were closed.
Old Oct 31st, 2006, 06:56 AM

If arriving on AA:

<i>All First and Business Class passengers flying American to London Heathrow are invited to enjoy the Arrivals Lounge amenities upon their arrival <b>(Economy Class passengers can pay a fee of $40 USD + VAT for access to the London Heathrow lounge upon arriving)</b>. To enter, simply show your boarding pass and photo ID at the front desk.
Hours: 6.00 a.m. - 2.00 p.m.

The Arrivals Lounge offers services and amenities, such as:

* 20 Private showers
* Hair dryers
* Trouser presses
* Complimentary beverages
* Cappuccino/Espresso
* Breakfast bar
* Mini gym
* Fax/copy facilities
* Complimentary internet access
* Pay/credit card phones
* Individual workstations
* Conference room - Learn more about the Heathrow conference room now!

The London Heathrow Arrivals Lounge can be found in Terminal 3. Exit to the right after Terminal 3 Customs Hall, then take the stairs or elevator to the Mezzanine level.</i>
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 01:14 AM

What are wash clothes? Do people really put special clothes on to wash in?
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 05:53 AM

We'll be arriving at LHR from LA about noon on September 13 with a 9 hour layover before boarding for Johannesburg. We had initially thought about a short trip out of the airport to Windsor, but were abvised by a friend who'd just been through the airport that there's so much hassle getting in and out that we might be better off just staying in the airport and availing ourselves of a day pass to one of the lounges to the tune of something like $50 pp. Any updates on the day pass situation? We're flying BA, and from their website, it doesn't appear that economy ticketed passengers have access to their lounge in any capacity. Any suggestions? A day room is a possibility, of ocurse. Or plain old just waiting the whole thing out in the common waiting areas. It would be nice, though, to break up 25 hours of flying time with a shower and a place to freshen up.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 07:24 AM

flanneruk

Naughty Naughty - I think he was meaning a washcloth or a flannel. How many posts do you think this will take before it dies a natural death?
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 07:31 AM

I caught a private shower at the Heathrow airport before I flew from London to Sydney. I brought my towel. The shower was free. I had my soaps, etc., with me.

After flying from Miami to London in economy, the shower felt great.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 11:14 AM

It's not thsat we haven't discovered wash clothes: it's just that, even spelt properly, there's no such word in English. They're flannels here.

Now for Bo2642.

First, of course you can get in and out of Heathrow (and into town, or to Windsor or a whole pile of other things)in 9 hours. You'll have your ongoing boarding pass when you arrive, and - contrary to the universal myth - as long as you get into the security queue at T1 half an hour or so before takeoff for a late evening flight, or 45 mins before if you're on the 1750, you'll be fine.

The problem for you - assuming the loonies don't try blowing themselves up again that day - is more getting through immigration, which is taking forever at present. So decide what to do once you've got through. There are lots of &quot;what to do with a day&quot; threads on the Europe board

For a shower at T1 (which is where you arrive and leave, but you can only do this during the departure process) you need the Urban Retreat, which is airside. and about &pound;20

You can't officially get to it during the arrivals process, though in your case with a boarding card you can go through security when you arrive, have a shower etc, then double back through immigration to go to Windsor or whatever, then return and go through security again.

I doubt, BTW, the Yotel that's been recommended elsewhere will be open by then. Even if it were, you'd have to go through immigration, get the train to T4, then get the train back to T1 and go through security again: precisely the hassle your friend told you to avoid.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 05:28 PM

Thanks for the detailed info. So....maybe a short time in Windsor would be a possibility after all. If that's the case, we'll forego the shower. Then again, it may be possible to do both. I just brought up the Urban Retreat website. Looks good. Also, I posted my question on the Africa boards (we're on our way to southern Africa via London) and got a reply from Lynneb with the following link for the BA lounge. It looks as if it might be accessed-- payment on entry-- regardless of the flight class, even coach:

http://secure.baa.com/baa/baabook.as...amp;src=WLHR71

Thanks again. We've got some options, it appears.

Barbara