Should/Can 2 One-way Itineraries be Linked?

May 7th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Should/Can 2 One-way Itineraries be Linked?

My wife and I are traveling BDL - SIN in late June on UAL in business class, purchased with miles. Returning SIN - BDL in mid-July, also on UAL, also in business class but purchased economy and upgraded with miles. These are two separate purchases with two different confirmation numbers. Can or should these itineraries be linked somehow? I have heard that one-way itineraries raise red flags with security and we really don't want any hassles...
May 7th, 2011, 10:11 AM

Generally no, you can't link 2 PNRs like that. You could phone UA and ask that they add a notation on each PNR that you're traveling on the other, but the trips will still have separate record locators.

However I wouldn't worry at all about security; these kind of things are quite common and shouldn't of themselves raise any suspicions.
May 7th, 2011, 10:15 AM

Craig, With Continental you can link them, but I don't know about United.

I've flown into SIN 5 times and never been asked about how or when I'll leave. I had a return ticket out on only one of the trips. Three times I left SIN on a different itinerary and a different airline, and once we left by a train we hadn't even booked yet.

I don't think you and Jeane look like the kind of people that officials will worry about over staying your welcome. If you have your email for the second flight, I'm sure that would be proof enough.
May 7th, 2011, 02:02 PM

PNRs can be cross-referenced, but really no reason to.
May 8th, 2011, 03:53 AM

Do not bother linking but do print out

my FF mile personal history/itinerary

if asked... once in HeathRow an official asked

I presented the FF account no problemos.
May 8th, 2011, 11:56 AM

Craig - I bought tow separate tix last year to BKK but the TA said she would make a note on the system and link them for me, maybe worth contacting the airline. FYI we had no issues at all so either she was able to link or the red flag issue isn't such an issue??
May 8th, 2011, 04:57 PM

I've done one way trips to Europe and Aruba within the last year and a half for various reasons and never had any issues. The trip to Europe was on multiple airlines. Aruba was all on U.S. Air. It never occurred to me to see if the U.S. Air flight could be linked.