Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Change frequent flyer ticket after outbound taken?

Mar 2nd, 2010, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

My daughter is overseas on a frequent flyer ticket for 4 months. I was originally told by Continental that I could change her return and even add a destination before she came back to the States. I tried doing that today and was told only after picking out the flights with the person over the telephone that I couldnt' do that since she had already left the States. Is this correct? From my experience with booking flights, I've found it all depends on who you talk to sometimes.
Mar 2nd, 2010, 03:12 PM

Unlikely you can change the itinerary, but dates can be changed for a fee. Rule number one about calling any airline - if you don't like the answer, hang up and call back.
Mar 2nd, 2010, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, rkkwan. I actually did call twice. One gave me no explanation but I was shocked that I actually went through the process over the phone with both agents when they had the confirmation number and saw the itinerary and didn't tell me that it couldn't be done until they couldn't get the computer to accept it.
Mar 3rd, 2010, 04:48 AM

I have changed flights on Delta after I got to Europe. Now all I was doing was changing to a diferent date.

Ask them to send you to "manual reissue" I have to do that all the time!
Mar 3rd, 2010, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply CarolA. I just called again and learned that you can not add miles to a trip that has begun. But, I can pay a one way fare for my daughter to fly from Copenahgen to Athens and then change her frequent flyer ticket flying from Athens to home since I'm not changing the number of miles. Will need to pay a $150 change fee. The agent I spoke to gave this some thought how it could be worked out. This makes sense. I could have added another city to her trip if we did so before she left.
Mar 4th, 2010, 02:13 PM

Glad it appears to be working!