Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

SFO to Rome via Heathrow. How long a layover?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking around for fares for a SFO - Rome trip next year and was wondering what you think a "safe" layover time in Heathrow would be? I'm seeing 90 minute layovers in Heathrow and other airports which does not seem like a lot of time. How much time should I be looking for in layovers generally, as well as with reagrds specifically to LHR?
Thanks.
-Bill
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 03:31 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
LHR is a special case because of British Airways' unwillingness to connect bags to other carriers. It's not that they can't (and in fact they have numerous interline baggage agreements) but that they seem to be very reluctant to do so.

If bags have to be claimed and rechecked, then LHR can be just dreadful for connections, because of the need to travel between terminals, especially if the dreaded Terminal 4 is part of the mixture.

I generally would not plan on a change as short as 90 min. unless it was an all-BA itinerary (i.e. BA SFO-LHR-FCO.) BA plus another carrier is asking for trouble. You may cruise through with no problem, but you may not...
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Gardyloo. I did not know that. What would be safe layover time in, say Frankfurt, Munich, or Amsterdam?

-Bil
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 06:19 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Just my opinion, but I would much prefer any of those airports to LHR. If I recall correctly, both FRA and MUC have instituted very short minimum connection times (MCT) - some as little as 30 min. I doubt anyone would ticket you with that short a connection, but it's possible. AMS is also a very efficient terminal, but it's been awhile since I connected through there. Others have more recent info I expect.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 01:39 AM

iamq,

which airlines are you planning to use on both legs? As Gardyloo pointed out, 90min for LHR connection seems too tight IMO even if within T1/2/3.
Agree with Gardyloo that LHA/MUC/AMS are more functional airports, though in any case 90min could be tight A)if the incoming flight gets delayed, or B)IF your luggages are NOT checked through to the final destination.

AMS connection is very good, though 30-45min seems too tight even with checked thru luggage as it is a large airport. MUC 30-45min doable if LH on both legs and no flight delay.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 01:40 AM

I am no Europe airports expert at all but in the past when visiting Europe Frankfurt and Amsterdam were fast and efficient and deffinately the best of the busy airports to connect thru, Amsterdam especialy, have not been thru Munich for many years but would no doubt be good too, pity you don't have Swiss from SFO as Zurich was also very easy. I would avoid Heathrow or Paris.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 04:59 AM

AMS is an efficient airport, but it has expanded a lot over the years, so it's large. You definitely have to get from the non-Schengen side to the Schengen side for a US-AMS-Italy connection, so the walk can be pretty long. An hour will be minimum.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot all. This information is really going to help when it comes time to find the right balance between price, schedule and route.

-Bill
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 09:23 PM

Why don't you just fly Continental from SFO to Newark and then nonstop to Rome;American to Chicago and then to Rome or Delta from SFO to Atlanta, Cincinnati or Jfk to Rome?
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 03:22 PM

I would vote for MUC (8o mins layover)or FRA (55 mins), in this order !
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Hmmm...so far the lowest fares are the ones with layover at LHR.

-Bill
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 07:29 AM

Keep your eye on Lufthansa fares. I flew from SFO thru Munich to Florence last year without any problems. Though I used FF miles, there were reasonable fares available in January for my April trip.
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Betsy! I'd love to fly either Lufthansa or United or another STAR Alliance as I am looking to earn a few FF miles if I can.

-Bill
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 04:28 PM

Gardyloo,

BA will only refuse to interline bags if you travel on separate tickets. If your itinerary is on the same ticket, BA will interline - regardless of carrier

That said, I try and avoid the necessity of through checking baggage on any carrier at any airport. Sometimes, immigration requirements will dictate otherwise but I have little faith in any airport/airline when it comes to connecting my baggage in the same direction as myself.
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 05:40 AM

You may consider the additional handbaggage restrictions which apply to flights via UK.
I would never load my camera into the checked baggage !!
that's why I voted for MUC or FRA !!
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 01:24 PM

Given the current security situation I wouldn't recommend using ANY UK airport for transit because apart from the obvious security delays you lose any enhanced hand luggage allowance you have.

See http://tinyurl.com/raalf