Changing Planes in Heathrow

May 7th, 2010, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Changing Planes in Heathrow

We are flying from Manchester to Washington Dulles with a plane change in Heathrow. We have an hour and twenty minutes layover. Is that likely to be long enough to be able to make our flight?
May 7th, 2010, 07:58 AM

If it's all on BA, which I assume, then you'll connect within Terminal 5, domestic > international, so it should be ample time.

If it involves a terminal change (e.g. BMI > BA) then it will be tighter, but still doable if your bags are checked through.
May 7th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, the flights are British Midlands(under United) to Heathrow, then United to Dulles Washington. I just checked and it looks like they both fly through terminal one, so I expect there will be enough time.
May 7th, 2010, 10:44 AM

My understanding is that the minimum connection time at Heathrow is 2 hours. I have made connections (one ticket)in 2 hours - but with a carry-on only and trotting most of the way. Securty lines (even if you stay airside - can be long - I've waited more than 30 minutes at times).
May 7th, 2010, 11:44 AM

It is my understanding that if you book a flight from - say Manchester to Washington - and the airline decides you have time for a change, then you are taken care of, the time spent changing planes is factored in. Your bags will be checked through, and so will you!

My daughter (Imogen - you met us both in Rome in 2006) was booked on a flight from Johannesburg to Heathrow in January, and the airline factored in a 30 minute layover and change of plane in Doha. We were really anxious about this change of planes, I even called the airline to confirm that it would be sufficient time as Doha is not a small airport, but they said it would be OK, and it all went smoothly.

Have a great trip wherever you are going. If you find yourselves anywhere near the Cotswolds it would be lovely to meet you once again.

Julia
May 7th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Hi Julia, and thanks for your helpful information. I remember meeting you and Imogen at the Piazza Navona. It would be lovely to see you again. We are still in the planning stage for this trip, but we will probably just go to Edinburgh, the Lake District and North Wales. I do want to visit the Cotswolds sometime and I will let you know if we do decide to do that this September.

Sally