Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Seeking hints for non-Medallion Delta upgrade success....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2004, 10:32 AM
Cassandra

I've learned that with the proper fare code, non-Medallion Delta passengers can stand-by to pay for an upgrade at check in. I know it's first-come first-served, with the Medallion people having priority, but I'm wondering just how often seats actually do come open for the other riff-raff. Does anyone have any special recommendations for strategies here? (e.g., can you request upgrade when you do early check-in on-line?) Also, what is the usual fee for cross-continental trips?

Old Apr 11th, 2004, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cassandra,

My reply is based on one experience <b>ONLY</b>, so I may be totally wrong. Last October I flew on Delta to New Orleans to see my Chicgo Bears play the Saints. On the return, there were F seats available at the gate. I did ask, but was refused. I believe that the way it works is that if you do have status with Delta, you can upgrade from any fare, <b>but</b> if you don't, you have to be on a full fare. Again, don't get mad if I'm wrong.
Can't help you with the cost of the upgrades.
Old Apr 11th, 2004, 02:44 PM
Cassandra

AAFF, not mad. But have verified that there are several coach-fare classes (Y, B, M, H, K and Q) on Delta that may be eligible IF there are 1st C. seats available AND all Medallion-level pax are accommodated AND some magic wand in Atlanta has been waved to permit purchase. Out of about 6 flights recently through Atlanta, I would say 2 or 3 fell into this category. Since I was traveling on more discounted tix, I wasn't eligible; but the overhead projectors were flashing panels with the offer, and the upgrades went quickly. There may be something I didn't understand about this, but I verified with the gate agent that it wasn't limited to Silver, Gold, Platinum, etc., but you do have to pay. Your experience may have to do with that particular route, or a &quot;surfeit&quot; of Medallion flyers ( ), but it's all pretty murky or I wouldn't have asked. You certainly have to be persistant to find anything about this on the website, and it's an elliptical description at best.

Old Apr 11th, 2004, 02:44 PM
Cassandra

BTW, the fee for SRQ to ATL early one morning was $50. I'm sure cross-country it's more.

Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 02:52 PM

I've seen LAX-ATL upgrades for $75. I believe it's the L/T/U fares that aren't eligible.
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 04:43 AM

Upgrades can only be purchased at the departure gate.The fee is based on mileage,per segment flown.
1 - 500 miles $50
501 - 1000 75
1001 - 1500 100
1501 + 150
Eligible fares: &quot;K&quot; or higher,thus eliminating L/T/U fares.
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 04:02 PM
Cassandra

Thanks, BeachBoi. Have you done this ever or often? What is your experience?

Old Apr 25th, 2004, 04:54 AM

Cassandra...I rarely fly Delta and I have never done any sort of upgrade when I did...Several of my buds work for DL thats how I know the &quot;system&quot;...
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 09:43 AM

The only time that upgrades are available for purchase is when they have FC seats left after the Medallions have all upgraded. I fly Delta a lot and rarely see this, but it may be because I fly during peak times. If you fly off-peak, you might luck out. You can go to the Delta website to see how many FC seats are available if you go through the steps as if you were going to buy a FC ticket. Your chances would also be better if you select flights with larger FC cabins, such as 767s.