Seat reservations on British Airways

Old Aug 28th, 2013, 08:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seat reservations on British Airways

I'm wondering if anyone else is having trouble using the online (24hr prior to flight) seat reservation system on British Airways. Nine family members were flying to LHR from the U. S. last month and wanted to sit together. Five of us from different households and different computers could not get any seat assignments as per BA website instructions. One of us finally got through to the help line and we were told to arrive at the airport an hour earlier than we ordinarily would have. I am a senior with a special need because of a chronic leg problem. The BA agent on the outbound flight did accommodate this need, however, we were not able to sit together as requested. On our return flight, even with a 5 hr layover in LHR, I could not get the aisle seat necessary to aid my problem leg. The first response was that I could have paid extra prior to flight to ensure I got such a seat. I have contacted BA without much success. It appears that they are making it difficult to reserve seats within this 24hr window and are pushing for paid preferences. BA denies this, but doesn't address the non-functional website system. (worst flight home ever + 2 disfunctional toilets on our side of the plane) Having second thoughts about using BA in the future.
Old Aug 28th, 2013, 09:13 PM

Trying to get 9 people to fly together is almost impossible in today's overbooked airline market.

Doing it from multiple households is even more difficult.
Old Aug 29th, 2013, 01:18 AM

Simply put, unless you have the ability to select your seats as soon as you book your flight, getting nine people to sit in the same general area is very probably not going to happen. Even then it probably won't happen. It's not common to see a block of that many seats available on a seating map.

Your issue with seating is most definitely not limited exclusively to BA. I suggest in the future that if you want 9 people to sit together, either book as early as possible (260+ days out) and with an airline that offers the option to select seats at the time of booking, buy up all of business class, or charter a flight.

If you have a condition that requires a special seating arrangement, it's best to pay for the option that will get you want you want. After all, in these days of full flights, one cannot reasonably expect the airline to accommodate your request out of the goodness of their heart.
Old Aug 29th, 2013, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Sad, but true. apparently. Our expectations get lower and lower all the time with air travel. I think the biggest frustration was not being able the access the online seating system AT ALL, coming or going. And their statement that the bulkhead seats were for seniors with issues or babies, didn't apply to me. I guess it's asking too much to hold BA accountable for their own information/instructions on their website.
I'll probably have to bring my own toilet paper in the future too.
Thanks for the input and perspective.
Old Aug 29th, 2013, 08:26 AM

Your username is frequentflier. You should know better.
Old Aug 29th, 2013, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Ha ha. Agree. I thought the name was cute and was surprised that no one else had taken it. (I like your user name and you are living up to it!)
Old Aug 29th, 2013, 05:15 PM

Maybe book as a group next time? Not sure that would work on BA.
Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 06:33 PM

BA trans-Atlantic has had unfriendly seat-selection policies for some time. I suggest considering the competition.
Old Oct 1st, 2013, 02:48 PM

I certainly did..i could never confirm the separate ba connecting flight . Note. I had a four leg flight with MAD as a final destination.. ... i thought I could get it the..day of my flight, but I was wrong....my heathrow connection boarding pass (HRW to MAD) did not print out.....so am sitting at the gate, trying to talk to AA on the phone....that was unsuccessful, so i pleaded with the gate agent to get me seats, and she kindly did. I say kindly b/c it seemed she did a favor...

Because of this, I doubt I would do a BA connection ever again.....

But I have to say that the AA agents at DLS were incredibly helpful and if it weren't for them, I would have nixed AA completely.

Also note, this was a through ticket, all on one world.
Old Oct 1st, 2013, 05:56 PM

LHR MAD is scheduled for 2:15 to 2:35, with flight time under 2 hours. That's the way intra-Europe flight works.
Old Oct 9th, 2013, 11:38 AM

Have had about 10 BA flights in the past 3 months but not had this issue at any point. Always allowed me the seat I requested.