Reload this Page >

Seat Belt Sign never taken off

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 10:32 AM
sandi

On a recent flight to Mexico, Alaska kept the Seat Belt Sign on the entire trip, and there was NO turbulance. I told her that she must release me from my seat to run to the john or there might be an accident. After a while, folks were just ignoring the sign (which is a dangerous sign in itself), don't you think. I think it is just an attempt at 'crowd control', so they will feel more secure, but I resent it.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 10:48 AM
Phil

It's like smelling your feet.<BR><BR>Pretty soon, they will be smelling up your you know what.<BR><BR>The whole thing is ridiculous. A bunch of idiots sit around a table and everyone puts his two cents in. Out of caution the stupidiest ideas prevail.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 11:04 AM
Rich

I have noticed a lot of flights on which the pilot never turns off the seat belt sign lately. I also haven't noticed it stopping a lot of people from getting up and walking around, though. Actually it seems that there are more people these days who get up to go to the lavatory while the plane is still in its steep initial ascent than there used to be. Umm, people, if you have to hold on to the seats from rolling down to the back of the plane, and then pull yourself up by the hands as if you're mountain climbing on the way back, it's probably too early to be up and about. ;-)

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 11:18 AM
Englishgirl

HeHe.. : ) .. I like your humour Rich!! very funny,

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 03:35 PM
ann

Law suits law suits law suits. If something is seen on the rador the airlines have to be careful. Sometimes its rough and sometimes its not. What airline wants to take a chance?

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 06:16 AM
Jed

A few years ago a plane hit an unexpected air pocket, and a few people were injured. The first question was, was the seat belt sign on? - as if that made any difference.<BR><BR>People want to be able to move about, but if something happens, the airline is to blame for not seeing the unforeseen. Can you blame them for being ultracautious in this litiginous society?

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 08:56 AM
sister

Rich: LOL<BR><BR>

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 04:10 PM
sss

I have noticed on alaska airlines the seat belt sign stays on so they can sit on their butt's and not serve the clients and use it as a saftey issue.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 08:26 AM
DeeDee

Sandi, they keep the seatbelt sign on so when the plane hits a sudden pocket of turbulence, you smash your head senseless on the ceiling of the fuselage. If you resent it, don't buckle up.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 08:29 AM
That is not that bad...

I once flew on Continental and the seat did not go back at all. I can tell you that 14 hours sitting bolt upright is a lot worse than a short hop where you are merely being asked to sit still.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 07:10 PM
Laura

Was it ALWAYS the rule for passengers to keep their seatbelts on even after the sign goes off? I remember the last time I flew I was sitting with a bunch of people who paid no attention to the flight attendants' suggestions to keep our seatbelts on (yes, including me) The girl sitting in the aisle seat, at one point was facing the seats in back of her--and she was KNEELING on the seat, and the flight attendant was RIGHT THERE talking to the people directly behind her, and she never told the girl to sit down. I remember another time I was flying, and we were taxiing to the gate, and EVERYONE in coach was standing up!!! The flight attendants told us all to sit down, and we paid no attention. THey didn't do anything, even the seatbelt sign was still on. My friend told me she once took hers off about a minute after they landed before the sign went off.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 08:12 PM
Coco

Whenever we fly our seat belts are always fastened no matter how long the flight, and why wouldn't we. The FAA highly reccommends this for your safety.

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 04:47 AM
Ross

Some airlines now reccomend that passengers keep their seat belts fastened even while sleeping. I thought this was ridiculous until I experienced &quot;clear air&quot; turbulance over the Pacific ocean on a flight from Japan. Since that experience I have kept my self buckled in until the inevitable &quot;breaking of the seal&quot; midflight! The main thing is to obey the flight crew if they tell you to sit the hell down!

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 12:34 PM
Bobo

Perhaps no one knows how to turn the lighted sign off?

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 06:45 PM
sam

Some of you need to bounce off the ceiling one time because you didn't want a seatbelt to impede upon your comfort. I suspect that then you'll stop complaining and start buckling.

Old Nov 2nd, 2002, 06:28 AM
Sandy

I would like to know if there were ever any survivors on any plane crash because they were wearing seat belts and those who died did not. In a car crash I know it is possible to survive but in a plane crash?

Old Nov 2nd, 2002, 09:34 AM
Marilyn

Sandy, I assume you're joking, but on the off chance that you're not, the seat belt protects you from inflight injury due to turbulence, and won't do you a damn bit of good in a crash. But it's a pretty funny notion...