Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

LONDON HEATHROW - GETTING FROM TERMINAL 1 TO 4

Oct 31st, 2002, 07:22 AM
Bernie

We are going to NYC in December and are flying into Terminal 1 LHR and are departing from Terminal 4. Can anyone please tell me how to get between the 2 terminals and how long this will take.

Thanks

Oct 31st, 2002, 10:00 AM
Gerry K

Go to the lowest floor at Heathrow and hop on the Heathrow Express. It's free. Just make sure you don't get on the one going to London, as I did.

GK

Oct 31st, 2002, 01:48 PM
Marilyn

It is a fairly long and involved process, so pay attention and follow the signs. You have to walk quite a long way, catch the bus, then walk at the other end as well. I flew on BA last summer and they handed out little maps to help. Of course, when in any doubt, just ask -- at least there's no language barrier.

I would say depending on how quickly you walk it will take 20-30 minutes. Actually, I think the little maps have times from point a to b on them.

Don't fret about it -- a gazillion people do it daily, many for the first time.

Nov 1st, 2002, 01:12 PM
ron

I did the T1 to T3 transfer a week ago today. The transfer to T4 is identical up to the last stage.

There is excellent signage from the gates in T1 through the miles of corridors (it seems) directing passengers to the Flight Connection Centre (FCC) for T2, T3 and T4. This signage remains excellent up to the point where you enter the main lobby of T1, where the sign to the FCC is an arrow pointing downward to the left, but there is no place to go downward to the left. After wandering about cluelessly and asking a couple of people, I determined that what you are supposed to do is go through security back towards the T1 gates. After clearing security, the excellent signs reappear, directing you into the FCC, where there are separate escalators leading down to waiting rooms for the shuttles to T3 and T4. The shuttles then take you to the terminals, arriving airside, i.e. past security.

If one is bright enough to figure out the loop back into terminal 1, you might be able to do it in a half hour as the previous poster suggests. It took me an hour.

Nov 2nd, 2002, 03:30 AM
Gerry K

Given the above two posts, was I wrong in suggesting the Heathrow Express?

Gerry K

Nov 2nd, 2002, 09:31 AM
Marilyn

Sorry, Gerry, did I misunderstand your first post? I thought the bus you were talking about is the same bus that you end up taking if you follow the signs. I was just elaborating further on the journey, since I found it quite a long walk and sometimes confusing, as did the poster following me.

Are you saying there is an alternative to following BA's map between Terminal 1 and 4? That there is a different Heathrow bus that you can catch at any terminal and it just takes you around the airport? Why do they bother routing passengers in such a roundabout way if that is the case?

If there is a more direct way to get between these terminals I would LOVE to know about it, as I have had to do this many times.

Nov 2nd, 2002, 10:43 AM
ron

Gerry's route would certainly be doable. Instead of looping back where the confusing sign is, you would go into the main lobby of terminal 1 and follow the signs to the Heathrow Express train station. You would then have to clear security at terminal 4. I know the walk from T3 to the Heathrow Express train station is about 15 minutes; if its the same for T1, then I don't think this is a better routing. If the station is right at T1, then it may well be.

Nov 2nd, 2002, 12:33 PM
Gerry K

The Heathrow Express is a high speed train that serves LHR and London. However, you can take it between terminals 1 and 4 for free. Put your luggage on a cart, take the elevator down to the lowest floor and read the signs that will tell you if it's going to terminal 4. It's easy. Unfortunately, when I arrived at LHR late at night last year, I got on the train to London. The ticket taker was quite understanding, so I presume there are other dummies in the world just like me.

GK

PS: Enjoy your stay in the USA.

Nov 2nd, 2002, 08:19 PM
Marilyn

So Gerry, do you just get on the train without a ticket and that's ok? Also, does it work both ways, i.e., can you take it from Terminal 4 to Terminal 1?

I would like to try this next time if I have a long enough layover to risk getting lost.

Nov 3rd, 2002, 07:01 AM
Gerry K

Yes, Marilyn, both ways. No ticket, no nuthin'. Just be sure you're going to Terminal 4 or Terminal 1 and not London.
Read the sign above the train platform, or ask someone.

Cheers,

Gerry K

PS: There's loads of luggage accommodation.

Nov 5th, 2002, 05:32 AM
Pete

The heathrow Express is a train which goes between T,1,2,3 and T4 and offers a high speed link to London. So you can use this...

You can also use the tube (metro) but this is less convenient and you will have to pay) so don't!

You probably can walk but it is a long way.

Otherwise you can take a bus (probably free and you will avoid stairs) or you could take a taxi.