BA @ Heathrow

May 1st, 2002, 10:26 PM
rodzilla

BA @ Heathrow

What should I expect flying BA into and out of Heathrow? We'll be spending seven (yes, seven) hours waiting for a connection, and are looking for something to help kill the time. I hear rumours of a transit lounge for BA flyers....true or no? If so, worth it? How difficult? Also, any input on current restrictions or security checking (wait times, relative hassle, etc) these days at Heathrow would be welcome. Given the extended layover time, is it worth leaving the airport for sightseeing?

And....anybody happen to know the terminals for inbound Seattle flights and outbound Cape Town flights these days? Web info indicates it's all term 4, but I hear that the CT flights may be out of term 3 these days.

All info appreciated....thx.

May 2nd, 2002, 12:37 PM
xxx3

Windsor is only 20 minutes away by cab. You could spend a couple of hours there and still have enough time at the airport at each end.

May 2nd, 2002, 08:14 PM
Mary

Hi Rodzilla, Just a few weeks ago I took the Heathrow Express to Paddington, then the tube/underground to the Westminster stop. This was during a 9 hour layover between flights. You're right at the Houses of Parliament/Big Ben plus the London Eye. Fun!

May 3rd, 2002, 07:34 AM
Rae in the UK

I believe the information you need regarding which terminals to use can be found on this website: BA's main terminal is T4.

www.baa.co.uk

It covers most of the UK's big airports and is full of info for international visitors.

For a cheap excursion from the airport, you may want to take the subway (tube) into central London - would take about an hour each way and the train goes directly from Heathrow (all terminals) to Picadilly (Its the Picadilly line - indicated in blue on the tube maps). You do not even have to change trains.

You could then wander around the centre of london for a few hours (Trafalgar Sq, Picadilly, Fortnum & Masons for tea etc.)

Hope all goes well.

May 19th, 2002, 01:41 AM
David

If it is a nice day grab a sandwich and go to the queen's building between terminal 1 and 2 and visit the observation platform and get a great view of the happenings at Heathrow, remember 10:20am approx Concorde takes off which is worth seeing.

Capetoen is out of Terminal 3, which is probably not the best terminal, Terminal 1 is probably the best for things to do.

Overall Heathrow is still pretty efficient and no real security hassles, anyway you have plenty of time.

Get a good book, find a quiet corner and watch the aeroplanes go by.