Seat Assignments-AA

Search

Seat Assignments-AA

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seat Assignments-AA

We'll be flying on American Airlines to Maui in a few weeks. We booked on expedia, and when we were instructed to choose our seats, we had trouble finding three together. In fact, on one of the flights, all three of us are seated separately. I don't mind sitting away from my husband, but obviously our 2 year old daughter will need to be seated by one of her parents!

Should we contact the airline ahead of time, or just wait until we get to the airport? If I call AA, will they help me even though the tickets were purchased by my husband?

Also, does anyone else find that it's impossible to find seats together when using Expedia, and that often the seats you choose don't end up being the ones you actually end up with?

Thanks for your help!
Old Sep 25th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Just called AA and was told there were no seats currently available that they could move us to. However, they "should" be able to move us the day of travel. Well, good grief, I should hope so! Can you imagine a toddler sitting next to a complete stranger on a 7 hour flight?
Old Sep 25th, 2009, 12:44 PM

I wouldn't worry about it Siena- Im sure the airline/flight attendants will do everything necessary to ensure your daughter's seated next to you.

In the unlikely event they can't, I'm pretty darn sure the adults seated beside her will gladly trade you seats.
Old Sep 25th, 2009, 12:50 PM

There are always seats that are held back under airport control for exactly situations like yours, for families that need to be seated together. No one can see them as available on seating charts, including you yet.

That day, make sure you check in in plenty of time to assure yourself of the best selection of seats.
Old Sep 25th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. I'm sure it's silly for me to worry about this. Someone will switch seats with us, if nothing else works. It's just frustrating because this has happened before, and I'd like to take care of it before we go to the airport.
Old Sep 25th, 2009, 03:28 PM

You shouldn't just wait until you get to the airport.

Check the website often from about 2-3 days before travel. There are often a lot of "movements" when other passengers move around their assignments. And again when you do OLCI. And even after that.

For example, I flew on a totally packed AA transcon on Monday. I've already grabbed an aisle seat earlier on, but I still check often. For many days, only middle seats are available. But at various time points during the last 2-3 days, I could have moved to a different aisle seat or a window seat. And at one point, there were two seats side-by-side available together, though they were near the rear of the plane.
Old Sep 26th, 2009, 04:33 AM

AA just like any major US airline holds about 20% of seats for airport assignment for situation just like yours. Don't worry. You'll be fine.

The seats are seen as occupied on the seat map but they are not, they are just blocked. Then there are more seats blocked for frequent flyers with status and these seats can only be seen by them during reservation, but not by the casual flyer. So when you add all those seats together, the TA at the check in desk will be able to assign all 3 seats together.

Don't worry.

HHave a great trip!
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks AAFrequentflyer and Rkkwan for your responses! I forgot to mention in my first post that the flight in question is the one from Maui to home, so I have a feeling I won't be checking the website in the days beforehand. That's why I was hoping to get it over with now.

I'm probably just overthinking this because I know there are people who really dislike being on a plane with other people's children. There have been times when the FA has asked us to switch seats (the seats assigned to us by the gate agent moments before) because of one rule or another. One time, three men weren't willing to trade. They just starred at the FA while my husband and I stood there juggling our daughter and her car seat! I'd be willing to trade in an instant, but some people would really rather not.
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 07:56 AM

Just get to the airport as early as possible; the earlier you are there the more time the ticket people have to help you, so that you do not have to rely on the kindness of strangers, while you stand there and look at them. Enjoy your trip.