Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

reimbursement for incurred expenses due to delayed luggae

Aug 22nd, 2010, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

i was recently on a UA flight to ATL. 1 of the 2 luggage i checked in didnt make it to the same flight i was in. this resulted to a 4 hour delay in getting my luggage. in the meantime, i am meeting with some clients for a business dinner and needed some appropriate clothes and shoes to wear. ( i usually dress comfortably when i fly i.e. rainbow slippers, walking shorts and t shirt ) the delayed luggage agent at the airport gave me an amenity kit and told me to just buy some appropriate clothing and save the receipt. she gave me a self addressed envelope to send the original receipts in along with a delayed baggage report she printed from UA's computer at the airport. i did exactly as she suggested and just mailed the original receipts for my purchases, the total came out to be $400+ for clothes and shoes. i bought some make up but didnt include that in my claim. i am a Premier Exec passenger on UA and flew in as a FC passenger on that flight. has anyone of you had any experience with getting reimbursed by the airline for expensed arising from delayed luggage?

Thanks in advance for your responses !
Aug 23rd, 2010, 12:51 AM
J62

No, I haven't had experience getting reimbursed for delayed luggage. I also learned long ago that for anything that is time sensitive I make sure I put it in my carryon. This always includes anything I need to wear or use for the 1st 24hrs. Hiccups do happen, and 4hr delay getting your checked bag is not a long delay.
Aug 23rd, 2010, 03:39 AM

I've been reimbursed by Singapore Airlines for jackets we had to buy when our luggage went missing for a few days in New Zealand. We produced our receipts as we left the country and they gave us cash.

I've also been paid up front when our luggage didn't make it on a Singapore Airlines flight to Zurich. They gave us something like 250 chf to buy what we needed (more warm clothes). Our luggage turned up 24 hours later.

I've had luggage go missing with UA too, and they always offer an amenity kit, but I've never claimed anything with them.

Needless to say, I've learned to pack for contingencies, although with stricter carry on regulations, it's getting harder and harder to do.
Aug 23rd, 2010, 04:50 AM

I don't know if United has a specific policy, but the reimbursement is generally for small things you need. With a four-hour delay (not even an overnight), it's hard for me to believe they'll reimburse you for more than the bare minimum (perhaps $100). I'd certainly produce the receipts and ask for everything, but don't expect to get $400 back. I don't think that's reasonable. Even with an insurance policy, I don't think you would have gotten $400, but I hope you're pleasantly surprised.
Aug 23rd, 2010, 04:55 AM

I had a bag delayed by Delta last month and they promptly reimbursed exactly to the letter of their reimbursement policy. They do have a dollar limit, which is reasonable, but I was under that.
Aug 23rd, 2010, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

thanks all for your responses. as unfortunate as this incident was, i am still somewhat positive on my perception of UA's handling of luggage ( and Northwest and Delta, for that matter ). in all the many years of flying, this is the first time that i was separated from my luggage for a few hours upon deplaning. this is far better statistics compared with road mishaps i've had, my fault or otherwise, in my many years of driving a car.
Aug 23rd, 2010, 07:12 AM

Were I in your situation, my clothes needed for that immediate meeting would have been in my carry-on. This doesn't help the problemm already past, but for the future? Especially since you sound like you travel on business alot I'm surprised you don't already do this.

As far as the airlines paying, I thought they only had to cough it up when they actually LOST things, as in gone for good, never found again??
Aug 23rd, 2010, 08:19 AM

That's what travel insurance is for. But check the fine prints.
Aug 23rd, 2010, 01:52 PM

suze -

Airlines differ, but we've found them to be very helpful when they misplace luggage, even if they know it's coming in on the next flight. We've had our luggage delayed many times, but fortunately, it's never been permanently lost.

I never buy travel insurance.

It's been my experience that homeowners/tenants/personal property insurance will sometimes cover permanently lost baggage, but they usually require the airline to pay whatever they're going to pay first, then they pay the balance (subject to a deductible)
Aug 23rd, 2010, 02:31 PM

Flyme...
Yeah, I had a situation once, but with AA. My suitcase (hardsider) got RUN OVER by a baggage tractor/cart after it somehow fell to the ground. It arrived on time, but with tire treads (no dirt...just imprints) across my clothing. And needless to say, the suitcase was destroyed as it come down the conveyor belt. I showed it to someone at the AA check-in counter and asked this person what I should do, since I still needed to fly home a week or so later.

The person at the counter told me to buy a new comparable suitcase and bring them a receipt. I did this, but nearly got laughed at when I returned to AA to fly home!

To make a long story short (and this was only for about $100 for a new hardsider suitcase.. this was years ago) I had to write many letters to heads of AA, public relations, etc. and it took several months but I finally got my money back! I kept trying to get the point across that I had only done what the original agent at the AA counter had told me to do!

I would say $400 for a bag delayed 'only' four hours is probably a long shot. I will really be curious to know how UA handles this, so please report back!
Aug 23rd, 2010, 10:51 PM
Original Poster

simpson, yeah i will let you all know how this gets resolved. however, just like you said, it might take a long time for that. i hope it will not be a long, drawn out saga. i can totally appreciate the idea that the amount of compensation should be proportionate to the inconvenience or perceived inconvenience, which in this case can be the # of hours my luggage was delayed. although the actual inconvenience to me in this case, is to have to go to a store to find something to wear to make it to a business dinner appt.

i was mindful of the reasonability of the $ value of my purchases. however, the purchases i made reflects the fact that the clothes i bought were what i would at the minimum, buy if it were my "own money". matter of fact, i'd probably spend more if i were spending my money without the thought that i will seek reimbursement for the purchases. also, in the event that i don't get reimbursed, i would be willing to wear the clothes and shoes again. if UA doesnt reimburse me for the full amount, i'd be okay with that but i would expect that they pay at least a portion of it.
Sep 3rd, 2010, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Just a quick update to all who responded to this post: I got an email from UA today, they acknowledged receipt of my claim letter and indicated that they are going to forward my request and receipts to a Claims Representative. The letter also said I should expect 45-60 days for a resolution of my claim and they will contact me with the outcome of their review. I'll post updates to my claim as they become available.
Sep 3rd, 2010, 07:27 AM

Well that's a start! Thanks for posting.
Sep 13th, 2010, 03:30 AM

I had luggage lost for two days last Sept.I flew into Toulouse France.The airline told me i had 100.00 euro to spend just send in the receipt .Took me 6 months to get the money back.I had ins. with American Express for $300.00 clothing allowance mailed in receips when i got back to states had a credit to account the next week.
Sep 24th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

venezia, im happy to hear about your success story. i am still waiting for resolution to my claim.