Search

Recommended Transit Time at JFK

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2013, 03:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recommended Transit Time at JFK

Hi everyone,

Just needed your opinion on some things. I will be traveling from Dubai to Bermuda while transiting though JFK. My flight will be landing at terminal 4 while the next leg departs from terminal 8. if you could just provide your feed back on the following.

1- The transit time between the two flights is 3 hrs 25 mins. Is that addequate to make the switch over?

2- Given I will be transiting onwards internationally, will there be customs/immigration check at each terminal?

3- My arriving flight will be Emirates and departing AA (I booked the flight through expedia), would I be able to tag my luggage all the way through or would I have to collect luggage and check in again at AA?

4- Would appreciate if someone could describe how the swtich over will work (terminal trains etc?)

Look forward to any feedback. Thanks
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 04:23 AM

3:25 transfer time should be fine.

Yes, you will have to clear Immigration & Customs when you arrive at JFK.

No, your bags will not be checked through to Bermuda. After Immigration you'll claim your luggage, clear customs and when you exit customs you'll recheck your bags for your AA Flight assuming you have already "checked in" and printed your boarding pass for the AA flight on line. All you'll have to do is recheck your bags with American Airlines at the baggage check area as you exit the Customs hall.

If you haven't checked in on line for your AA flight on line you proceed to terminal 8 (use the AirTrain to travel between terminals - it's quick and easy) where you'll check-in for the AA flight. Simply follow the signs for the AirTrain - there are maps and an attendant at at each "stop" to assist you if you have any questions. Trains run every few minutes and it takes only about 10 minutes to get between Terminal 4 and Terminal 8.

Once you are checked-in and have your boarding pass proceed to the TSA check point to clear security and proceed to your departure gate.
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 04:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the the response, that was very helpful.
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 05:12 AM

Please be aware that, if you are not a U.S. citizen, you will need a visa to enter the U.S., even though you are in transit.
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 11:28 AM
J62

Don raises a good point. Unlike the rest of the world (eg Moscow these days) there is no sterile transit zone at US airports. All passengers arriving need permission to enter the US, whether it's on a visa or by the visa waiver program. If you are from a country participating in the US visa waiver program, you just need Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) approval prior to travel.

You should be able to tag your bags all the way to Bermuda from your origin, but you'll still have to claim your bags at JFK and bring them through customs as stated above. If they are already tagged you can them drop them off after customs for hand off to AA. Be sure to tell the check-in agent your AA itinerary to Bermuda.
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses. I do hold a transit visa for the US so I should be fine.

How much time do you reckon immigration and baggage collection/customs/checkin will take? Do you think I will be fine in the 3.5 hr time frame?

I know RoamsAround clarified previously, but just want to double check - would I be required to go through immigration if I am only transiting through and not going out of the airport?
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 12:35 PM
J62

Yes, you will go through immigration & customs. The US is unlike most other places in the world in that regard - no transit only area.
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

got it. thanks
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 12:45 PM

Yes, you still have to clear US Immigration even though you are only "in transit" and not leaving the airport.

The time it takes for a non-US citizen to clear Immigration can vary but probably will take anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes depending on how crowed it is when you arrive.

Luggage usually arrives at the luggage carrousel about 20 to 30 minutes after the plane arrives so your luggage should be ready for pick-up when you have finished clearing immigration. Once you clear Immigration it's just a short 2 minute walk to the Customs Hall where you'll claim your luggage. You may be waived through in which case you'll be through customs in only a few minute. Or, you may be singled out for a more thorough screening, this can take anywhere where from 5 to 30 minutes (average time is usually lees than 15 minutes, assuming you don't have any contraband in your luggage.

So, worst case scenario is that it takes you around 90 minutes (maybe 2 hours if you are unlucky) to clear Immigration/Customs. That leaves you 1.5 to 2 hours to make your connecting flight. Plenty of time in my opinion but I'll let others give you their thoughts.
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks RoamsAround. That was really thorough feedback.
Old Oct 22nd, 2013, 02:24 AM

HI,

I am going from Dubai to Colombus and currently have a 12 hours transit time in JFK.

could anyone let me know if immigration will let me go out of JFK to spend the day in NYC or if I will have to stay 12 hours in the airport?

tahnks a lot
Old Oct 22nd, 2013, 02:24 AM

HI,

I am going from Dubai to Colombus and currently have a 12 hours transit time in JFK.

could anyone let me know if immigration will let me go out of JFK to spend the day in NYC or if I will have to stay 12 hours in the airport?

tahnks a lot