Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Re-routing May 8th flight to avoid Paris connection?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you had the opportunity today (at a cost) to reroute your flight to avoid changing flights in Paris (flying to Morocco May 8th - we could go direct from JFK instead) would you? It would cost probably $600 altogether to change.

I just sat on hold with Air France forever and then let the agent talk me out of changing since by May 8th "it veel be a distahnt memory." I'm annoyed with myself for not persisting because this ash could be gone but other eruptions could occur in the meantime.
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 12:07 PM

Other eruptions could occurr in the meantime everywhere !! Should this happen near Morocco then you would not land there anyway, neither on a direct flight nor via Paris. However you mention "we" could go.... so I assume the cost of $ 600 is the total for your party (more than one). I think it is relatively affordable and I would therefore go for the direct flight.
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Right - anything could happen at any time - I get that. But the geologists are talking about additional eruptions and also the nearby volcano possibly getting triggered so this isn't a totally hypothetical what-if scenario.

I just looked and the total to change looks to be around $900 for the both of us. Ouch.
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 02:00 PM

It becomes a considerable cost. Now I would stay with AF and see what happens. EU ministers have decided today to partially re-open our skies starting from tomorrow.
Sometimes I say: no risk, no fun !!
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 04:16 AM
Original Poster

I think I will just sit tight and hope for the best. It probably will be sorted out by May 8 & a non-issue.
I'll try to maintain the attitude of no risk, no fun!
Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 09:15 AM

I'm wondering why you didn't book the direct flight originally if it's $900 less than the one that connects in Paris.

Whichever you take, I hope you have a wonderful time in Morocco. I loved it and want to return after I've been to a few other places on my list.
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

No, the prices were more or less the same. When I say direct - I meant direct from US to Morocco not stopping in Europe; it's would still require one stop for us in JFK. So flying from our local airport (Phila) to Paris then Rabat had better available times, slightly easier, etc. than flying from Phila to JFK then Casablanca. The $900 I mentioned was the fee to change today ($200 per person) plus the $350 higher fee on the "direct" flight if booking today.
Confusing and boring explanation but my point is I hope I'm not stupid enough to pay $900 more for a connecting flight

I heard a quick blurb today that the volcano is calming down so I'm starting to believe we'll actually get there.