Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

QUESTION about customs and traveling between countries

Jul 3rd, 2012, 03:16 AM
Original Poster

I recently made a trip to the UK from California. Upon arrival at Heathrow i was detained for not having a return ticket and went through a nightmare process like i was a criminal and sent home 4 days later after a head injury. My passport was detained and returned to me with an cross out on my entry stamp.

I am returning to the uk again as im trying to visit friends, and this time i go from San Fran to FRANKFURT to GATWICH
my question.... How many times will i have to go through customs??? and will i have any problems because i was detained before and have a cross out on my passport.? I will have a return ticket this time FOR SURE.

any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated . Thank You
Bonnie
Jul 3rd, 2012, 04:29 AM

If you are just connecting in Frankfurt, you will not go through immigration or customs there. Only security.

You need to read up on this website:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...u-need-a-visa/

While US citizens going for a short visit generally do not require a visa, the website specifically says you SHOULD if you have a criminal record OR you have been denied entry to the UK before.

If you just show up at the border with no visa, fairly good chance you may be turned away again.
Jul 3rd, 2012, 11:38 AM

It wasn't customs that turned you away, it was immigration.
Jul 3rd, 2012, 01:18 PM

will i have any problems because i was detained before and have a cross out on my passport.?

You have been denied entry to a country - that's pretty serious. That they held you for 4 days rather than sending you straight back suggests that they thought you were up to something VERY dodgy probably involving your bowel movements.

If you turn up at UK immigration by any route you will be refused entry - always assuming that the people at check-in even allow you on the plane (the red mark is a bit of a giveaway)

Trying to sneak into the UK by indirect means will be spotted and may even make things worse for you

You need to get entry clearance before travelling. This has to be done through a UK embassy. They may decide you have to apply for a visa.
Jul 3rd, 2012, 03:33 PM

Does no one else sniff yet another troll here?
Jul 3rd, 2012, 10:57 PM
Original Poster

hi guys thanks for all your replys... i wasnt held for anything dodgey i just ddint have a return ticket. but i did call customs at which i was held back and they said as long as i had a return ticket and appropriate funds and could prove i wasnt staying in the country perm. i could enter again.
some of your posts scared me....
i have important people in my life in uk and just want to see them. thats all. i let to stay in the country for 4 days. they sent me back 4 days later only cause i sustained a head injury while in customs. but obviously was no threat as they let me in for 4 days..
thanks guys
Jul 3rd, 2012, 11:54 PM

Since your entry stamp was crossed out, you were denied entry. Therefore, you should go get a visa.
Jul 4th, 2012, 09:18 AM

If you are denied entry most people would be sent back immediately. The only people held back are those suspected of criminal activity. If you were in "customs" (I presume you mean a detention centre) for 4 days they wouldn't chuck you out for having a head injury, you would receive treatment.

So give us a timeline of what happened when as you haven't explained why or where you were detained for 4 days.
Jul 4th, 2012, 09:19 AM

What's the story behind the head injury?
Jul 4th, 2012, 12:55 PM

I am confused as my kids live in the UK and go in and out all of the time without return tickets to the US?
Jul 4th, 2012, 06:05 PM

UK, US, Canada and Australia are probably the only 4 countries in the world whose immigration officer actually talks to a visitor; and if they suspect that one may have intention to stay longer than allowed, work illegally, or what have you, then they won't let you in automatically. At that point, it's really up to the visitor to persuade the officer that he/she is actually staying for a short time, visiting friends, sightseeing AND spending money there - not earning some.

I've traveled to these countries and many others many times, and have never been asked to show prove of onward tickets or itineraries. But that is because I was never suspected of doing anything other than a true visitor.
Jul 4th, 2012, 06:58 PM

but i did call customs
i sustained a head injury while in customs

You weren't held by "customs" like you keep saying. Customs is about possessions, physical items. "Immigration" is what governs people.
Jul 4th, 2012, 11:56 PM

New Zealand too rkkwan