Purchasing econony and using FF to upgrade to business class to Europe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2008, 02:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the past we would buy economy tickets and use points to upgrade to business class. We live in DC so we would fly out of Dulles or Philly.

We are looking to go to Rome/Venice in early to mid October and I have been unable to use this tactic. USair says the cost of the ticket has to be $1,200 to be eligible for an upgrade. The ticket was $900 and the next price was $2,100. I said go ahead and charge me the $1,200 and use my points to upgrade but they said no.

We have 200K in USAir miles and about 1M on Amex. Does anyone have any suggestions? We are flexible on dates and airports both to and from the US.

thanks
Old Feb 19th, 2008, 05:25 AM

Well, you have some options, but it is not uncommon to require a minimum fare class to upgrade.

But, I would concentrate on using some of those Amex points. You have quite a few options, using them:

1) If you transfer to Continental, you can use the miles for upgrades on Continental, KLM, or Northwest. With CO, you can upgrade from any fare class, but will have to pay a fee for discount fare classes of up to $450 each way. If you want (and are able) to upgrade both segments, you are usually better off booking into a higher fare that will waive those fees.

To use the CO miles for KLM or Northwest, you will have to book into a 'B' fare or higher. For some random dates in October, this looks to be around $1500 for the KLM flight from IAD to AMS to Rome.

2) If you transfer to Flying Blue (Air France/KLM), then you can use the miles on KLM, Northwest, and Air France. All of these require buying into one of the 2 or 3 highest fare classes, similar to the requirements in #1, above.

3) If you transfer to Delta, you can use the miles on Delta. You need to book into an 'M' fare or above.

4) You could transfer to Virgin Atlantic, but you would only be able to upgrade as far as London, and would need to book on another carrier from London to Italy. This would require buying a Premium Economy ticket.

5) I assume you could do something similar with Air Canada or Singapore to upgrade on Star Alliance, but I just don't know much about those programs.

I would call any of these airlines and determine whether they have availability for upgrades, prior to booking the tickets and transferring the Amex miles. You may be able to have them hold the upgrade until the Amex miles make it over, though the transfer is usually so fast that you can just transfer while you are on the phone.

You could also just try to use them for a straight award ticket with SkyTeam by transferring to CO, Delta, or Flying Blue.
Old Feb 19th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Jed

We usually just use our points to get BC. It seems more straightforward, and with all those points, reasonable. Any reason not to?
Old Feb 19th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

My problem with the points is I am looking at 320K for the both of us if I use all points. That's on USAIR. That runs through the 1M pretty quick.

I have never had a problem with buying economy and upgrading with points. We travel almost every year this way to Europe and I find this to be the best use of points. This is the first year I have run into trouble. If I can buy a ticket for $1,000 or so and use points to upgrade I prefer that.
Old Feb 20th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Jed

With USAir, we always use the 'mileage saver' (80K) rather than the 'premium' (160K). If the saver is not available, we try other ways.
Old Feb 20th, 2008, 11:04 AM

I think USAir changed their rules on FF upgrades last year. It stinks, we used to do the same as you. This year, I may burn the miles I have (one of us in Business, one in coach) just to get rid of them.

I have been a Dividend Miles member for quite a long time, usually selecting that airline over others when I had a choice because I liked them. (For me, the first F stood for Faithful, rather than Frequent.) Nowadays, though, USAir is no longer a good airline for me to be associated with - between this upgrade change, the recently-instated rule that there is no longer a 500-mile minimum on short haul trips (all of my trips automatically include a short haul to either PHL or CLT), and a general downgrading of the experience of flying with them. I'm planning on changing loyalties.