One-way Tickets from Europe to US?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're considering a transatlantic cruise from the US to Europe. After the cruise we'd like to visit in Europe for about two weeks. Are there airlines that sell one way tickets from Europe to the US? I've checked around a bit, and all seem to indicate their fares are based on round trip travel.

We have miles on a couple of airlines and could use them for the return trip. I checked the American site and the one-way miles are the same as round trip. Are there airlines that halve the miles for one way trips?

Thanks a bunch for your input. After we figure out what's available by booking the air independently, we'll compare that with the cruise line's air add-on.
Old Mar 17th, 2009, 02:55 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Because of competition from Aer Lingus, which has re-made itself as a low-cost carrier, one-way fares to/from Dublin to/from the US are generally 1/2 the cost of round trips, i.e., no "penalty" for buying a one-way.

For example, say you want to return to Chicago, traveling in May. One way from Dublin to Chicago is $267 on American or Aer Lingus. (NYC is $251 on Delta, LAX is $365 on several carriers, Miami is around $350, and so on.)

One-way tickets from various European locations to Dublin tend also to be very cheap, e.g. Barcelona > Dublin on Iberia for US$67, or less on Ryanair. Watch out for LCCs like Ryanair in Europe, however, as their baggage surcharges are not at all compatible with typical cruise luggage needs. Your ticket may only cost €1 for some Ryanair flight to Dublin, but your 50 lbs of luggage will end up costing a ton.
Old Mar 17th, 2009, 06:49 PM

I agree with Gardyloo that Aer Lingus has some of the cheapest one way flights out there, but you don't necessarily have to break up the journey into multiple one way segments. I would suggest using a site such as www.kayak.com for more options. Using Kayak, I saw a one way fare from FRA to EWR nonstop of $342 on Air India, DUS to JFK nonstop on Air Berlin for $330, Milan to JFK (connection) for $358 on Aer Lingus, Rome to JFK nonstop for $287 on Eurofly. I priced these all for departing on May 9th.

I would also check the official website of your European departure airport to give you further ideas about options. Many low cost carriers won't show up on www.kayak.com. Let us know your departure city and date, and maybe we can come up with other ideas as well.

Cheers.
Old Mar 17th, 2009, 08:32 PM

<i>I agree with Gardyloo that Aer Lingus has some of the cheapest one way flights out there, but you don't necessarily have to break up the journey into multiple one way segments.</i>

Aside from Air India, those carriers are LCCs, and I'd definitely check on baggage allowances. If you're visiting Scandinavia, Malaysian Airlines has pretty cheap service from Stockholm to Newark.

Because of Aer Lingus' pricing, the major US carriers serving Ireland have to match prices, but in most cases have more destination choices (in the US) than Aer Lingus, which of course only flies to a few hubs.
Old Mar 17th, 2009, 09:57 PM

Hi again,

Yes, Gardyloo, most of the airlines I quoted were LCCs, but I also saw similar prices for Delta ($258) and USAirways ($261) (DUB-NYC one stop.) I did just find a fare of $386 nonstop from LHR-JFK nonstop on Kuwait Airways also on May 9th.

And yes, Gardyloo, you are correct the original poster needs to check the individual airlines policies and charges for checked baggage.

My point is simply that there definitely options to go one way from mainland Europe to the USA and that the flight options don't necessarily need to be booked as individual flight segments. Also, as I mentioned Air India and you mentioned Malaysian Airlines, there are airlines that operate flights between mainland US and Europe that you may not expect to find.

Cheers.
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 04:22 AM

<i>Aside from Air India, those carriers are LCCs, and I'd definitely check on baggage allowances.</i>

Of course, Aer Lingus fancies itself an LCC, and I would make sure I knew what I was getting with them. FWIW, most of what I read suggests that Aer Lingus is genuinely awful, so I would try to find something on just about anybody else, even if it cost a few extra dollars.

As for one-way award tickets, most carriers won't let you book it for half-price, but I think that BA might, but after all the taxes and surcharges, I'm not sure it would be a good deal.
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your replies. Since we'll probably fly out of Germany on the return, Ireland doesn't make much sense for this flight, but it may be good info for a future trip.

I'll check kayak.com and the individual airlines.
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 08:17 AM

If you want cheap one-way, then Ireland IS your answer. Fly from wherever in Germany to Dublin and then connect.
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 03:44 PM

*disclaimer* I work for CheapOair.com.

CheapOair.com frequently posts one way special fares. Because Munich is a major Euro hub, you should be able to find a good one way deal.

Also, use checkout code NY15 to save $15 off your flight.
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 03:47 AM

As a British Airways Executive Club member, I was able to book one-way reward tickets. It's part of Oneworld with American, so you might check to see if you can book a one-way ticket on BA with AA miles.

One way tickets on Open Skies/l'Avion aren't as cheap as half a one way fare, but they're not exorbitant either, especially since the seats are either "Premium Plus" or Business Class. I think the Prem Plus fares were around 550 euros one-way. This would allow you to fly home out of Amsterdam or Paris.
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 05:53 AM

<i>...so you might check to see if you can book a one-way ticket on BA with AA miles.</i>

There's only one way to use AA miles for one-way awards, which is to get a "Oneworld" award, which requires the use of two Oneworld members (in addition to AA if AA is used at all.) Thus from Germany the OP would need to take, e.g., Iberia to Madrid, then British Airways to London, then AA to the USA, or BA to Canada and then AA home, etc., i.e., a pain in the tuchus. Plus the Oneworld redemption requirements are mileage based, and in most cases one-way itineraries would consume the same miles as a round-trip award in which the return portion is thrown away.

No BA flights between the UK and US can be used with AA mileage redemptions (but Canada and Mexico/Caribbean are okay.) The BAEC rules are even more stringent on this - no BA miles can be used on any AA <b>transatlantic</b> flight, even, e.g., Madrid to Dallas.
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 06:57 AM

Hi Betsy, I would probably recommend not using miles for a one way ticket save them for another trip!

Rather try and get yourself a cheap one way flight, I think going to Ireland might work...

Since erinannie works for CheapOair.com any insider tips for cheap flights in general?
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Wow! I'm impressed with your knowledge and your willingness to share it. Thanks for the CheapOair info, erinannie, and please feel free to report in with insider tips. Will definitely save our miles for another trip, TrvlBuddy.