Percy--NYC Port to Boston

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are landing in NYC from a cruise and I dread having to fly back to Boston.. Any ideas which airlines are the most lenient weight wise... or...would we be better coming back by Amtrack or renting a car....Shelpping luggage is not an option..
Old Mar 13th, 2009, 04:43 PM

Are you an elite member in any airline's FF program? Do you have any airline credit card? How many pieces of luggage are you going to check, and how much does each piece weigh? Are you flying coach or first class?

Is there an airport in NYC you prefer to fly out of?

The airlines that fly between EWR/LGA/JFK and BOS include AA, DL, CO, US and B6 (jetBlue). AA/DL/CO/US all charge $15 for first piece of luggage and $25 for second piece if you don't have any way to exempt it (elite status, airline credit card, flying first class etc). Overweight pieces (>50lb) and 3rd piece on will depend on airline.

jetBlue has the lowest fees for luggage if you're flying coach. Free 1st piece and 2nd piece only cost $20.

But of course, fares may be different, so you need to add them all up.

And if you fly first class, in general you get to carry 3 pieces of 70lb each, free. So, if you're taking 3 pieces of 51-70lb each, it may be cheaper to fly first class in some case.
Old Mar 15th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the information...have found that LaGuardia is the closest.. and if Jet Blue isn't there I'll just grit my teeth and pay the overage with the luggage.....two weeks plus and no washingmachine...isn't ideal..
Old Mar 15th, 2009, 08:04 AM

Jet Blue does not fly to Boston from La Guardia.
Old Mar 15th, 2009, 09:13 AM

If it were me, I'd absolutely opt for Amtrak. Penn Station is a 5-minute cab ride from the west side Port in Manhattan, and train travel is 5,372,500 times more comfortable than domestic air travel.

I suppose that I'd also look into car rental -- depending on your final destination, that might be the simplest (as long as it's not during a time of year when winter driving is involved).
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 02:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"two weeks plus and no washing machine" - won't you have a sink? And somewhere to hang things? I always hand wash when I'm traveling. It lets me keep my luggage weight down to under 30 lbs checked plus carry-on.