Search

NWA vs. Virgin

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2006, 08:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NWA vs. Virgin

I have the choice of flying World Business Class on NWA or Virgin Atlantic Upper Class to Europe in October. If you've flown on either, I'd like to hear about your experience.
Thanks
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 12:00 AM

Hi
I have never flown NWA before. But I have flown with VS in Upper Class many times. Fully flat beds, AVOD, their lounges are very modern especially the new LHR clubhouse which is superb. The food can sometimes be a bit Iffy, but eat in the clubhouse first and have a lite bite on the plane.
The main advantage of Virgin over all other business class cabins are the suites, these are the only beds that I have been able to get true sleep in. I fly Virgin out of choice and although they are sometimes not the cheapest, they are in my opinion the best from the UK to the States.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 02:53 AM

Do you have use for the FF miles? If so, then that would be something to work into your equation. Northwest World Business Class on the A330 is a very nice experience.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 07:50 AM

First, make sure your flight on NW would be on the A330. If it's the DC10, which will be flying Minneapolis - London and Amsterdam as well as Memphis - Amsterdam for a while longer, it's an old business class, and you'll definitely want Virgin.

Assuming it's an A330, then both flights should have audio/video on demand. It really comes down to the seat. Virgin, as mentioned, has a fully flat bed that it supposed to be the most comfortable for sleeping. NW has one of the near lie flat seats, also sometimes know as wedgie seats becuase you can slide down them.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 03:01 PM

I've never flown NWA to Europe, but Virgin's Upper Class is the best across the Atlantic, in my opinion. The food is excellent, there's a great stand-up bar, beauty treatments and very comfortable and private seats. It outclasses even BA. If you have the chance to fly them, go for it - frequent flier miles are virtually worthless anymore, anyway.