Newark Connect to Int'l Flight

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am flying into EWR from my small city airport and have an international flight, to Athens, scheduled to leave 1 hour from the time I arrive. Both flights are on Continental. I've searched the airport website and it looks like the arrival and departure are both from Terminal C. Could that be true? Will I have to go out of the terminal to check in for the international flight and then back through security? I am taking only carry on luggage. Thanks! I'm obviously worried about this short time, but that's the way the airline booked it and I really didn't have a choice.
Old Sep 14th, 2008, 03:34 PM

you will be checked through at your airport and all you have to do is walk from one gate to another. It's like connecting for a domestic flight.

During your return, it will be different. You will need to go through passport control at the first US airport, collect your luggage, go through customs, drop off luggage, go through security, so hopefully your return flights have at least couple of hours in between the connections.

Old Sep 14th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! Wow, its really that easy? I can't believe it! Now we only have to hope that our puddle jumper isn't delayed for no apparent reason! (Something that seems to happen quite frequently!)

And yes, we are returning through Atlanta and have 2 1/2 hours breathing time. Besides, who really cares on the way home?
Old Sep 14th, 2008, 05:48 PM

Even if your puddle jumper arrives at a different terminal an hour is plenty of time to connect. CO has done a pretty good job with transportation within EWR. The first couple times we had a relatively short connection I was sweating it but everything worked fine.
Old Sep 14th, 2008, 06:46 PM

The main issue is how late your first flight may be.

ATH ends in October and right now delays are not an issue. But if you're talking about next summer, it may be horrible like the last 2 summers, or maybe slightly better.

When delays get bad, the shorter CO Express and CO Connection flights get canceled first and their delays can be long.
Old Sep 14th, 2008, 06:54 PM

<b>rkkwan</b>,

I'm sorry, but I hate those &quot;what if&quot; posts. Yes there are bad days, but about 80-90% of the time the flights will get you there in time.

I don't fly that much anymore but in the last 8-9 years I had flown quite a few miles. Connecting in Chicago in winter, departing from Florida in summer afternoon storms, even one just before a hurricane landed, Dallas during their summer woes, NY just because, San Francisco during a mild earthquake, etc.etc. and I have been stranded MAYBE 3-4 times(I'm not sure as I don't keep a record). I'm talking about 70 segments a year and over 100K miles.

If it does happen, it does, and I'm the first one to tell people that it's part of traveling, but I just don't like the &quot;well, <b>IF</b> this happens, then.....&quot; stories
Old Sep 14th, 2008, 07:00 PM

I'm sorry, but I tend to know EWR in the summer pretty well. And it is bad, if you're connecting on an Express or Connection flight, arriving in the afternoon for a connection to Europe.

It's just the truth. EWR (along with JFK and PHL) are consistently the worse airports in the country with delays - and that's an average of the whole year. In the summer, it's just not pretty.

I am not saying the OP will miss her connection or she should totally give up. But she needs to have contingent plans. Probably can't change the flight now, but I'd consider paying $50 for confirmed same-day change if I have a tour or cruise to catch in Athens the next day.

That is if she's going next summer and not in the next few weeks.
Old Sep 14th, 2008, 07:05 PM

so I must have been incredibly lucky or American/American Eagle is just that good, because after about 600 plus segments I have been stranded only about 3-4 times.

Perhaps that's why I chose AA for my flying needs....
Old Sep 14th, 2008, 07:41 PM

AA's operation at JFK is significantly smaller than CO at EWR. When weather gets bad and ground delays are in place, hub airlines fare worse than those with lessor operation.
Old Sep 14th, 2008, 08:33 PM

totally agree, but I did state that I flew numerous times through ORD in winter and even more during the summer storms season through DFW, yet I can only remember handful of incidents when I was stranded/delayed/inconvenienced. YMMV....
Old Sep 14th, 2008, 10:39 PM

The one hour connection should be long enough, but I could understand being nervous about that. I would hate to lose a day off a dream vacation because of a missed connection.
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 02:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I didn't mean to start something and appreciate the info. The flight is indeed next week. Its also a dream trip booked on FF miles, so you all know that beggars can't be choosers! My husband flies quite a bit and seems like its either through EWR or Detroit. He swears that Detroit is much better than EWR and I can attest to the number of times he's been screwed in EWR in the last 3 years, no matter what the season! He'd rather fly through Detroit in January!

I mostly wanted to know about check in and security, and if we don't have to go back through I think we'll be fine.
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 06:08 AM

<i>He swears that Detroit is much better than EWR and I can attest to the number of times he's been screwed in EWR in the last 3 years, no matter what the season! He'd rather fly through Detroit in January!</i>

Your husband is right. Detroit is miles ahead of EWR in terms of reliability. The Northwest terminal is also a nicer terminal than anything at EWR, and I assume that the new North Terminal will be nice as well.

You should be fine on the return, as well. But, be prepared for some pretty lengthy lines. They do an admirable job keeping everything organized at ATL, but the sheer volume of people means that the process can get a bit backed up. 2-1/2 hours is plenty of time, but it may not seem it at times.
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 07:29 AM

DTW is indeed nice. But if it's January, I may take my chance at EWR.
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

I think the problem is that EWR gets that terribly &quot;winter mix&quot; of freezing rain, etc. and Detroit gets real snow which they can handle better.

Thanks to all for your advice and help - gotta love the knowledge base of the Fodorites!