Need lost luggage help

Search

Need lost luggage help

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2012, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need lost luggage help

So ...American Airlines has lost/misplaced our checked in baggage.

We were supposed to fly from DFW to Paris via Boston (the day before yesterday). As it happened, the flight of DFW for Boston was running late and we may not had made the connecting flight from Boston to Paris ... So AA moved us to a later-in-the-evening direct flight to Paris. When we arrived in Paris, our luggage hadn't as yet arrived. But more importantly, when the AA delivery person came in this evening to deliver our delayed luggage, it wasn't ours! We had checked in a large black and this was a large red . Someone has hand-written my name on a tag on a piece of luggage which is clearly was not ours. I refused to accept it. The delivery person didn't have any English and I didn't have enough French to inquire further. The lost luggage office in CDG opens tomorrow morning at 7 am.

Now ..I am scared. I have had delayed luggage scenarios a number of times before. But getting someone's else's baggage has never happened to me before.

I would very much appreciate some advise:
-Should I just get to the airport tomorrow morning and try to talk this through?
-Can I ask for expenses? ALL our clothes and some medicines (for which I probably need to get our Dallas based doc to prescribe) are in the lost bag (among other things). And clearly, we now need to buy some quickly.
-Do you typically get your stuff back when something like this happens?
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 04:17 PM

I had my luggage delayed up to 3 days. Many of my friends have had their luggage delayed, but never really lost as long as there was some identifying tag/document left on the luggage. However, it really does not help to be reunited with your luggage on the day you fly home after you return home. I think you do get "some" compensation, but you have to wade through your fine prints and the promptness depends on the issuer.

Whether you go to airport or not depends on your assessment of the situation. You would lose at least a half day doing this. Is is better to go ahead and replace your stuff as quickly as possible and reduce the damage to the whole trip experience?

The lesson those who has not have this happened to them is never check essential items such as medicines. This is usually noted in travel info pages including AA site: http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...ps_baggage.jsp

Also, always carry at least one change of clothes in your carry-on. You can usually salvage some normalcy if you have two sets of clothes: one you are wearing and one in the carry-on that you can mix and match.
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 04:38 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
My luggage has been delayed several times over the course of many years. It's always turned up within a few days.

On two occasions that I was away from home, I was offered compensation when I made the claim at the lost luggage desk in the arrival airport and given an overnight amenity kit.

On one occasion I was give compensation for the items I'd purchased upon producing the receipts as we departed the airport on the way home.

On the most recent occasion, I was offered nothing, but it didn't matter as the luggage was delayed on my return home. They didn't deliver it for three days, even though they'd received it a day after the flight, which I found a bit irritating.

Compensation polices vary by airline and by class of travel.

If I were in your shoes, I'd either call the airport lost luggage desk, or go back out there, whichever is easier. I'd also ask them to explain their particular compensation policy and let them know you're on holiday and that you're in a bind without your luggage.

Good luck.
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 08:32 PM

Getting scared after one day is no answer at all. Communicating it is worthless.

My wife and I, a few years ago, went to Buenos Aires. Her luggage went to Zurich. It was EZE vs. ZRH.

It took 5 days to have the luggage delivered. I had to stay at the apartment as there was somewhat of a language barrier.

If you want scared, We went to Brussels one year. Luggage lost. After 3 days there, we were going to Paris. We literally got our luggage out in the street as we awaited transportation to the train station.
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 09:27 AM

Have you looked around the AA web-site? Some airlines now have information from their tracing services available on line.

When we recently arrived in Amsterdam, our luggage didn't. United, the primary airline involved, had no information on line. But British Air, which United had put us on for the last leg, had information on their web site showing the bags had been sent to Chicago and were scheduled to be flown to us the next day.
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

All

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

AA actually sorted this out today. The other person (to whom they tried to send my bag) was also in Paris and sent the baggage back the day before. So we were all united with our correct bags today.

They do outsource the deliveries to an external service provider in Paris. So my landing at CDG may not had helped much.

I have now learnt not to back medicines in check-in baggages ...
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 12:43 PM

Whew! Good for you! I once had a bag go missing for about a month. It had been checked in with United at Las Vegas for a flight to Chicago. A month or so later, I got a postcard from TWA (this was years ago) and they had gotten possession of my suitcase. Seems it had a very small TWA tag (remnant) on it (plus my ID tag). I contacted them and told them to give the bag to UA. It was returned to me about 48 hours later, still locked! (you could still lock your bags then)
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 02:22 AM

Glad it worked out. My daughter's luggage also had its own independent adventure, ending up at CDG. Even with a traveling companion who spoke French, the only way she got her luggage was to go to CDG lost luggage area and point.
Old Nov 14th, 2012, 01:13 AM

Hello,
I am Gaurav, flew from air New Zealand from rotorua to Christ church. We were carrying a Nikon dslr camera. We remembered that we were carrying it till the security screening point at rotorua airport. That was the last we had seen the camera. After that we have no idea where our camera got lost. We strictly remembered that we had carried it till the security screening point. We called at the airport and also at the security office, but got no positive answer.

We have come from India, my mom is handicap and we wanted my mom dad see New Zealand before things become worse for her. We had captured many photos in the camera and now we have lost all our memories.

We would be highly grateful if we get our camera back or at least the photos we have clicked. I really wanted those photos as a memory of my mom and mine together.

We are also ready to reward the person with 200 to 300 dollars if any body gets our camera.

Flight details
Flight name : air New Zealand
Flight number : nz 629
Origin : rotorua
Destination : Christ church
Date : 12 th November 2012

My details
Email Id : [email protected]