Name on credit card to book versus name on ticket

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2004, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thread floating around on Europe board has me baffled. (Started out as question about passport name versus ticket name - has since morphed).

Several posters insist that name on credit card used to pay for ticket must match name on ticket. This has not been the case for me - but things change all the time, so looking for real info. We are family of 4 with 2 different last names and have flown in all sorts of groupings using credit card belonging to one or other of adults (different last names) and the adult paying for the ticket does not always fly with the others. Have done this on every airline imaginable and both in and out of US.

I think there may be a problem when checking in at a kiosk, but I am wondering if anyone has actually been denied boarding because of name discrepancy. Thanks.
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 05:40 AM

I use my credit card to buy airline tickets for my mother at least several times per year, and almost always for trips where I am NOT traveling with her. Her last name is different than mine.

We have never had an issue with this, and checking in at the kiosk is not a problem either -- she usually is directed by airport personnel to swipe her own credit card or FF card for ID purposes. Sometimes I've called the various airlines involved (United, American, America West, etc.) just to verify that there will be no problems -- they've always said it is fine, just make sure she shows up with her own ID. Several years ago (with United), I would have to appear in person at a ticket office to present my credit card at some point before she traveled, but that "rule" disappeared about the same time United's ticket offices were closed down.
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 06:39 AM
Sunnyboy

You can purchase tickets in anyone's name using your own credit card but the airlines will not send the tickets or confirmations (whether e-tickets or paper tickets) to anyone except the card holder. As for checking in at a kisok all the ticket holder needs is a a valid credit card (issued in the same name as on the ticket) to swipe as identification. Having a Record Locator Number is also helpful.

Old Dec 10th, 2004, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - credit card info is as I thought - so I am not sure what the name anxiety is about on Europe board. Good to know about kiosk and name thing for when son flies several times/year to/from college.
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 09:57 AM

I think there are 2 separate issues that are being confused on the Europe board thread. One is ticket purchase and the other is check-in.

A few airline and/or third party booking sites do not accept a credit card that's not in the name of one of the traveling passengers (delta.com is one that used to have this restriction but no longer does). In the past whenever I've encountered this restriction, I simply called to purchase the tickets by phone.

As far as check-in, there is no requirement that I know of to produce the credit card used for ticket purchase. I've purchased tickets for family members, my father has purchased tickets for my husband and me - in no instance were we asked to produce the credit card used for purchase whether checking in at the counter or kiosk.

Also the kiosks that I've used will accept your ff card or you can key in your record locator in lieu of swiping your credit card. Whatever you swipe or key in is used for identification purposes and to pull up your reservation.
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 11:27 AM

The rules do seem to keep changing by website, airline, travel agent, etc. I didn't know that Delta had changed to allow the credit card holder not to be one of the travellers. When I ran into that before I just booked through an online travel agent such as Travelocity who did not require the credit card match any travellers.

I did run into the problem of buying tickets that had to be paper and they all had to be mailed to the credit card address. Then I had to distribute to those I had purchased for. I don't know if that is consistent in the industry.

My husband has in the past occasionally been warned when making an online reservation within 24 hours of departutre on Airtran that he would be asked to produce the credit card used to purchase the ticket when checking in. I think I was asked to show mine one time. I don't know what would have happened if, for example, I paid for the reservation then gave him my credit card to carry along. It technically would have fit what they required, but could just mean he stole my card.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 01:20 PM

That rumor has been around, and I think maybe it was an extra secure measure when online booking became more common, but people do make reservations all the time for others (kids, for example). Sometimes they have to be called in, and maybe you have to actually go to the counter, but it's a legitimate ticket (heck, you could pay cash even!). For the kiosk, you just need a card with your name- frequent flier, atm, library, anything. I think confirmations can now be sent anywhere, too- so many people share email accounts. This seems to have become a non-issue.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 09:37 PM
z

Never had problem. We buy tickets for friends and family members all the time and do not travel with them.
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 06:39 AM

In Germany, on the trains, you have to use your own credit card - and have that exact credit card with you for validation when you're on the train. I booked online while in the US, printed out the receipt, but my german friend told me I must have that same credit card with me for validation - and sure enough, they absolutely checked it!!! That was in November.
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 08:39 AM

This really shouldn't be an issue. Our company regularly books flights with a purchasing agent's P-Card (a mastercard in his/her name. the eticket is sent to her and she either faxes or emails it to the passanger. Of course when emergencies arise or you need to make last minute changes we are on our own to make payment with our own credit cards. Check in requires the travellers ID which needs to match the ticket.