Has anyone ever had to present credit card used to purchase ticket at check-in

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Addendum to thread going on in US section (do not read it unless you are holding a glass of wine or other similar beverage - guaranteed to give you a migraine).

It appears that some airlines state you must present the same credit card used to purchase ticket at time of check in. While there have been many responses indicating times they were NOT required to do so, am wondering if anyone has actually been denied boarding if they did not have a matching credit card.
Old May 28th, 2006, 08:25 AM

When I would book my flight the same day I was traveling I would...
Old May 28th, 2006, 08:27 AM

sorry-meaning I called them in the AM or late night before and then would be asked for it at the counter when checking in later that day or night...
Old May 28th, 2006, 11:35 AM

No.

This includes buying tickets for others, using miles and pay for taxes for others. I can even use miles from Person A, and credit card from Person B, for Person C to fly.

This is mostly on CO, but plenty of purchases on nwa.com for NW or KL flights, Orbitz for various airlines, Travelocity a time or two, etc.

Never never does myself or anybody I've helped book the tickets have to present ANY credit card at check-in. [And like AAFF and others have said on that thread, one can use <b>A</b> credit card or a FF card with the passenger's name to do check-in at kiosk.]
Old May 28th, 2006, 01:15 PM
MaureenB

I'm starting to feel like United has singled me out to harass! They still won't relent. (See my other thread in U.S. for gory details.)

Old May 28th, 2006, 01:29 PM

Never been asked for a credit card at check-in. Usually travel on Delta, and to use a kiosk for check-in, you can enter a credit card for id, or your Skymiles number, or simply scan the bar code on your e-ticket receipt.
Have never had to show a credit card when checking in with an agent.
Old May 29th, 2006, 09:03 AM

Sorry, I didn't read through that long thread on the US board so I may be repeating a lot of what's already been said.

First, the requirement to present the purchasing credit card has nothing to do with kiosk check-in. You can usually swipe any credit card or your FF card or enter your record locator or scan the ticket receipt bar code at a kiosk.

This is more of a fraud prevention issue and anyone who has had fraudulent ticket purchases show up on their card would understand why. Delta has a standard statement on their itinerary receipt that states &quot;If ticket purchase was by credit card and within 5 days of travel, you must present this card at time of travel&quot;. I believe I've seen similar comments on my AA receipt (don't have one in front of me right now).

That said, I doubt airlines uniformly enforce this, if at all. I wish that KLM did. It would've stopped the individual who used my credit card number to book herself a flight from NBO-MEX, but alas she made it to her destination while Travelocity was still investigating (I informed them a day or 2 before the flight), so I can see why an airline or card issuer may want to see the card in certain situations.

There was a similar thread on this board recently - There was a similar thread recently - http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34805464
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 07:26 AM
MaureenB

It took me literally 12 calls to United to finally find a reservation rep. who would fix the problem when the ticket I had bought at united.com for my daughter said she would have to present my purchasing credit card in order to board. Believe me, United was serious about this requirement, and I was advised in no uncertain terms that she would not be allowed to board without having my credit card in hand. Since this was not possible (she's in Baltimore, my card is in Denver), and since it was an incredibly inconvenient requirement, I persisted in calling United until someone agreed and took the few moments necessary to remove the requirement from her ticket. Sometimes it's just a matter of finding an employee who cares enough about customer service to fix a problem.
United blamed Visa, saying it's a new requirement of theirs. Others at United blamed a random computer program, the fact that we have different last names, the fact that the purchaser and the passenger were in different cities, ...
I doubt it, but maybe someone else knows?

Old Jun 6th, 2006, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

All those explanations might make sense, except that many of us have purchased tickets just as you did - different cities, names, credit cards - and never had a problem.

Maybe UA just hates you?
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 03:39 PM

Similar topic but relates to DL - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ferrerid=18562
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 12:50 PM

I think if you use one of those electronic kiosks in the airport for a boarding pass, you have an option of swiping either ID or a credit card. In this case probably the credit card must be the same.

(I've used ID only, passport for international flights)
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 01:11 PM

FainaAgain - That's not true. You just need <b>A</b> credit card in your name to use a kiosk for all airlines, in general circumstances. Doesn't need to be that card.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 10:34 PM

I've flown CX several times. Typically I call to book with their agent and I have been told and received e-tix that stated that I must present the credit card I booked the reservation with at check in.

And yes, they have asked to see said card at check in. Since I always carry the card I have no idea what they would do if I couldn't present said card.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 05:15 AM

Sorry, I should have said <b>US Airlines</b>. I don't know the policies of most international airlines.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 05:43 AM

Maureen,

As a former UA employee, there is no way anyone can take a requirement off a ticket. They may put a remark in the record but that doesn't necessarily insure smooth sailing. Stop dissing UA..they have a lot of faults but trying to prevent credit card fraud is not one of them.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 05:52 AM

I don't think Maureen is dissing UA. It is a real nightmare for her in a real situation. Maybe it's VISA's problem, maybe it's UA, but definitely UA has to deal with it and it's helping the customer.

Lots of us book tickets for other people using various credit cards and have no problem. Sure UA/VISA is correct to protect themselves, but they need to communicate with their customers what to do.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 06:22 AM
MaureenB

Thank you, rkkwan. I'm not dissing United here, just stating the facts of the very unpleasant situation, to hopefully alert others.

However it's termed, the requirement was taken off. Here's the wording on the first e-receipt:
&quot;Photo ID and the credit card used to make your purchase must be presented at check-in.&quot;
Then, after the 12th contact with United, it was finally changed to:
&quot;Bring a valid PHOTO ID to check-in.&quot;
The flight has since been taken without problem, thank goodness.

I e-mailed my complaint to some of the higher-ups at United over a week ago. No reply.

Customer Relations at United did reply to my complaint, and took the attitude that I had been warned in the united.com purchase process, saying:
&quot;When you purchase a ticket online, during the booking process it does state that &quot;For electronic tickets the credit card must be presented by the CARDHOLDER upon first point of airport check-in&quot;. This message appears as an alert in red ink prior to your purchase selection.&nbsp; I regret that you were not aware of the stipulation until you reviewed the e-ticket receipt.&quot;

I did not see this notice, and really am not convinced it is actually posted. Anyone seen it lately? In any event, be forewarned.

Old Jun 8th, 2006, 12:49 PM

A new take on this. I recently had a client book a ticket for me using their own credit card. When I received the electronic record from the airline (Delta) it said, &quot;You must present the credit card used to book the ticket if you are flying no more than 5 days after the purchase&quot; or words to that effect, since I haven't got it with me now. This makes sense in that it would take about 5 days for the charge to go through and approved or a stolen card rejected. After 5 (or so) days, any old card for identification will do. Or so I hope. The tickets were booked a couple of weeks ago, but I am flying to their site on Sunday!
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 01:26 PM

MaureenB - Do you remember when did you book the ticket? How many days before travel? I'm going to do some experiments on ual.com.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 01:34 PM
MaureenB

rkkwan, yes, I know exactly. My e-receipt shows the ticket issued May 25, for travel June 4.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -