Search

My comparision of different airlines' business class

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2005, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My comparision of different airlines' business class

Hello,
Just thought I would post since everyone here had been so helpful to me prior to my trip. I used my frequent flyer miles on American Airlines to purchase an around-the-world business class ticket on the partner airlines. Here is how the businesses classes ranked from best to worst (IMHO)

1. British Airways
2. Cathay Pacific (really close second)
3. Aer Lingus
4. American Airlines
5. Qantas (Customer service was dreadful, really differentiated between AA frequent flyer and their frequent flyer-was quite unexpected)

Business lounges (IMHO) from best to worst

1. Cathay Pacific (Hong Kong- Fantastic: Can I move in?)
2. British Airways-London
3. Qantas - (Christchurch and Sydney)
4. Aer Lingus-New York and Dublin
5. American Airlines (Los Angeles, New York-nice but extra charges everywhere)
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 10:00 PM
JohnWM

Hi, SandyD1. Nice summary that you posted; thanks for sharing. Could you clarify though what segments did you fly on each of the airlines? It would put the ranking into perspective for us.

Old Aug 7th, 2005, 08:34 AM

Sandy D1, Wow, you must have had an enormous amount of FF miles. How many did you need for your ticket?
We are contemplating an around the world trip, using either OneWorld or Star Alliance Business Class and would appreciate any advices you may have concerning your experiences with the airlines, where you went, etc. Anything you can tell us would be appreciated. Many thanks.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 09:28 AM

To get to fly on the airlines on Sandy's list, you need Oneworld. If you sign up for AA's "platinum challenge" and fly business class, you can rack up a tremendous number of miles. 35,000 actual miles should yield around 80,000 ff miles. Go to flyertalk.com and go to the Global Alliances section.
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Hello,
The total cost was 220,000 miles (for business, coach was 160,000) and I could fly up to 50,000 on their partners, no more than 16 segments, ould not transit through any 1 city more than twice, and only 1 open-jaw. Here was my itinerary

JFK-DUB (Aer Lingus)
DUB-LHR (Aer Lingus)
LHR-DAR es Salaaam (British Airways)
NBO (Nairobi)-LHR (British Airways)
LHR-BKK (British Airways)
BKK-HKG (Cathay Pacific)
HKG-Melbourne (Cathay Pacific)
MEL-Ayers Rock (Qantas)
Ayers Rock-Syd (Qantas)
SYD-Christchurch-Queenstown (Qantas)
Queenstown-Christchurch-SYD (Qantas)
SYD-LAX (Qantas)
LAX-JFK (AMerican)

I then purchased a separate ticket to do some touring around Asia (BKK-Hanoi-DaNang-Siem Reap-BKK). These were coach flights on Thai, Vietnam Airways, and BKK Airlines. They were fine, and I got all the flights for about $450.
I also bought a separate RT ticket, RDU-JFK since I lived in Raleigh, and I wanted to maximize the tickets I was getting with my frequent flyer miles. Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions in planning. I would also recommend using the airline websites to do some pre-planning with dates. It helps when you make the reservation. I think the process took a total of 4 hours on the phone over 3 or 4 calls since some of the flights weren't available and I would have to go back and make some alternate choices.
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 03:40 PM

The OneWorld awards are great!

Since I do mine in first class, here is a list of my preffered airlines:

1.Qantas and Cathay Pacific (tie)
2.British and American(3 class 777s) - this may shock some, but that's the way I feel.

First Class Lounges:

1.Cathay Pacific Pier Lounge - the best!
2.Cathay Pacific Wing Lounge
(both in HKG and yes, I could live there too)
3.British Airways in LHR
4.Qantas in SYD and AA in LAX and ORD(no extra charges )

Last April I did the following in F class for 180K AA miles:

LAX-syd-AKL - Qantas F class to Sydney and B class to AKL
akl-SYD - Qantas B class
syd-HKG - Cathay Pacific F class
hkg-LAX - Cathay Pacific F class

Next March I will be doing another OneWorld. This time it's South America, So I will get to checkout another OneWorld partner - LANChile. I hear great things about the airline. The F section has only 5 seats and 2 dedicated FAs.

150K AA miles plus $130 taxes/fees for mostly first class, except for few flights where there is only 2 class plane.

TPA-mia-gru-GIG(Rio) AA F class
gru-EZE(Buenos Aires) BA F class
eze-SCL(Santiago) LA B class
scl-IPC(Easter Island) LA B class but sitting in F seat.
ipc-scl-LIM(Lima) LA B class for first segment, F class for second segment
lim-scl-MIA(Miami) LA F class
mia-TPA - AA F class

Old Aug 29th, 2005, 05:10 PM

AA--has american first class (internationally) diminished in the last few years? do they still offer caviar, lobster salad, $30-40 bottles of wine? i haven't flown them since 2000 and trying to decide betw AA or Swiss to Europe next year.

thanks!
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 05:35 AM

Caviar is gone, but it is still a very nice service on a true international F.

You could get an idea of what's offered here:

<b>http://www.aa.com/content/travelInfo...pEntrees.jhtml

wine selection:

http://www.aa.com/content/travelInformation/duringFlight/dining/wine/main.jhtml</b>

AA just announced new Business class seats installation starting in 2006 as well as converting the &quot;coffins&quot; in F to the wonderful &quot;suites&quot; which are now available on about 2/3 of it's 777 fleet. You did say Europe, but where? AA does not have 1st class service to Zurich. The 3 class 777 with 1st class service flies to London and Frankfurt only. All the other destinations are served by a 2 class 763s and secondary markets by a 1 class 757s.

That said, Swiss F is very nice. IMHO, it's the best European F service at this time. Beats the 2 other giants, British and Lufthansa.

Finally, you are aware of Swiss leaving the partnership with AA and OneWorld? If you are looking to earn AA or OW miles, then Swiss will not be a good choice starting sometime next year. Don't know the exact dates. They were bought out by Lufthansa and will become a *Alliance partner.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 08:30 AM

thanks AA!! i'll check out those links. it is good to hear about the 'suites'. also, i had never heard of 763 plane and saw them offered on the BOS to LHR legs and was concerned it was only 2 class so thanks for confirming that.

we have 250,000 AA miles and plan to cash them in to fly 1st class next september from the DC area to nice, france. so we can fly to JFK or BOS and then to LHR and then BA to NCE. or, which probably is no longer an option with swiss dropping out, fly to zurich and on to nice with swiss.

in the late 90s, i flew too often JKF to LHR on business and thought AA had the best food. BA and Virgin food just didn't do it for me. and, when you are sitting there for hours on end, what else can you do but eat? (i preferred the daytime flights over back then)

Old Aug 30th, 2005, 09:16 AM

You know the regular &quot;all-partner&quot; award in F to Europe is 125K miles per?

I could show you how it could be done for 100K miles in F, as long as you don't mind using OneWorld partners ONLY and maybe an extra segment or 2.

Just a quick example:

Outbound
AA in First from Washington to Toronto or Montreal
BA in First from there to London
BA in Business* from London to Nice

Return
Iberia in Business* from Nice to Madrid
Iberia in First from Madrid to New York
AA in First from New York to Washington

* Intra-European Business class is basically economy with the middle seat blocked and better service/food.

The above is just an example. Availibility and routes need to be checked, but if this is something that interests you let me know.

The 50K AA miles you save can be turned into 100K Hilton points, which can give you 3-4 free nights in Nice or ? There is a transfer fee of $25.
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 02:20 PM

AA--wow, i'd love to know how to get the reduced award. do you go through american or a partner site? for me, flying to toronto isn't that much different than to boston.

thanks!
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 03:25 PM

You will still have to ticket with AA.

No, it's not magic, it's not about who you know, you don't have to bribe anybody.

It's called a OneWorld award.

OneWorld award is based on straight mileage between the origination and destination or stopover, regardless how you get there.

In your case, the mileage considered will be: WAS-NCE-WAS, which equals 8438 total miles.

<b>http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gc?PATH=iad-nce-iad&amp;RANGE=&amp;PATH-COLOR=&amp;PATH-UNITS=mi&amp;SPEED-GROUND=&amp;SPEED-UNITS=kts&amp;RANGE-STYLE=best&amp;RANGE-COLOR=&amp;MAP-STYLE=</b>

Any trip under 9000 miles <b>total</b> on a OW award is 100K AA miles for first class.

Here are the charts:

<b>http://makeashorterlink.com/?I56A256BB</b>

What is the catch? there is none, but there are some important rules:

1. You MUST use 2 of the OneWorld partners, and AA does not count. Regardless if you use AA or NOT you still have to use 2 OW partners. No other AAdvantage partners can be used.

OneWorld partners:
Cathay Pacific
British Airways (can't be used on transatlantic flights between US and London)
Finn Air
Iberia
AerLingus
Lan Chile
Qantas

Theoretically, and if you love flying you could fly WAS-Hong Kong-NCE-London-WAS ( your basic around the world trip) and still only pay 100K miles as long as you only connect in Hong Kong, not stop.

The connections are just that, connections. If you want to make stopovers in other cities then the mileage calculation will be based on that. That does not mean anything, unless your total mileage goes over 9000 miles, in which case you will be charged more miles. A connection is allowed to be no longer than 24 hour period, usually less if there are frequent flights, but never more.

The summary:

In the example I gave you,

IAD-YYZ-LHR-NCE-MAD-JFK-IAD (just under 9K miles total)

you could still, if you choose, make a stopover in each and every city and the total mileage charged would be the same.

You need to call AA and ask for OneWorld award. Explain what you want to do. If you just want to get to NCE and back, tell them that. Don't assume the agent knows the rules. Just because they booked it for you, does not mean the OW award overseer will approve ticketing the itn. Make sure that 2 OW partners are used and the total mileage between the originating-stopover points-final destination point is less whatever mileage is required to keep it within certain level. Remember, Finn Aer and AerLingus do not have first class. AA, BA and IB have true first class on certain routes only. If you want to do a F award make sure you get on flights where F is available. If majority of your flights are in business then do a business award, another 10-20K mileage savings.

If you need any more help, please ask.