Search

More room

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 02:52 PM
nn

More room

I am planning a trip to London from Miami next summer. I hate cramped seats on the airlines. Is it worth the extra money to go business class or is American Airlines more room in coach the way to go?

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 04:42 PM
$$$

Are you willing to pay around seven grand a person for business class? You know if you get the American Express Platinum or Centurion Card you can get a business class ticket for free when you purchase one for yourself. Or if you have 40,000 miles you could save a lot that way.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 11:23 AM
Dick

nn,<BR><BR>What is the aircraft for your trip? If the seating arrangement is 2/3/2 (767) or 2/4/2 (probably 777) go for coach and get the 2 seats. You will be very comfortable. The ammenities won't be as nice as in business class, but you will be O.K. with the leg room.<BR><BR>Dick

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 12:27 PM
x

We flew Philadelphia to London this fall, bought coach and upgraded with FF to Envoy class (USAirways). Didn't get the upgrade on the way back. I think it's definitely worth it if you can get out of coach - everything is better up front, food, entertainment, legroom and seatroom, ability to sleep in a larger reclinable seat. But, I personally don't think I'd pay extra for those seats, that's what I accumulate miles for. I could finance another trip for that kind of money. (On the return trip, there were only 2 seats available for upgrade, I gave them to my 70+ year old parents, who had two more flights than I had to return to their home).

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 05:06 PM
steve

Miami to London is about 9-10 hours each way. If you are not hurting you may be able to find business fares below $2000.00 through web or consolidator. I have flown to Europe for years in coach and my last 2 trips were in Business. I had enough miles to do it and did not pay. It makes the start and end of the trip a whole lot more enjoyable. If you cannot,AA is the way to go with a little more room in coach. Although the seats are no wider than all the other airlines you have a little more personal with your legs. Another thought is see what kind of deal you can get with British Airways in their economy plus cabin.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 07:03 PM
kim

Recently flew from Atlanta to London in a very cramped 777 airplane and a little roomier MD-11 on the way back in coach on Delta.<BR>Looked with much envy at the folks in business class at all the legroom in the world and flight attendant already handing out drinks. When we prepared to land in Atlanta and the flight attendant told the biz class passengers to put away their footrests that put me over the edge. I got home and one of my ankles was swollen! <BR>I am going to scrimp and save for at the very least a biz class seat next time I'm in for a trip overseas.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 03:16 PM
John

American is definitely more comfortable on long haul flights if you're talking leg room. Unfortunately, their seats are just as narrow as everybody else's. But rather than spend 5-7 times as much on your chair by upgrading to Business, why not just buy another coach seat, put up the armrest, and stretch out? It's a 100% increase (for one passenger, 50% if there are 2 of you) rather than 500% or so. You might also call the airline to see if they'll discount the &quot;unused&quot; seat - many will chop the price by 40-50%.